Shooters Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
The Shadow
7,948 Posts
.....Which is what i've suggested his worshippers do, several times now.....

No one ever talks about his smith work, they just ramble on about his nonsense.
Thrust, velocity, pressure, and "signs"...
All hallmarks of Ackley's cult of nonsense.

Cheers

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,204 Posts
In this modern age of inexpensive electronics, ANYONE can do pressure testing, have an accurate chronograph and use that data to refute old CUP data as well as prove any Elmer or P.O. worshipper wrong.

It's not rocket surgery anymore.

RJ

Reactions: Darkker

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
And I've done a ton of testing over the last 35 years, enough to know that what happened with one lot of powder, bullet and primer last week when the weather was a a little different than today can make the results significantly different with any change. Saying someone was disingenuous about loading results from 1971 unless they were standing there is a stretch.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,732 Posts
There is a finite amount of energy stored in gunpowder. Need more powder, or more pressure, or both to get bullets to go faster.

Ackley had somehow convinced the world that his case shapes were magical, and defied the laws of physics. Yes.... sometimes they did change backthrust on the bolt, etc. (which can be important in certain action types). But they didn't magically make bullets go faster, pressure did. Don't care how old the powder was or who make it.

The other thing, that was not well understood in that era, was that the tighter the dimensional control on a rifle action, the less it would show "signs" at a certain pressure, even overload. So yeah they could rebarrel a rifle to one of the magic shapes, get WAY more velocity after cleaning up sloppy lug engagement, firing pin fit, and so on.... and amazingly, not have any pressure 'signs.' Even if way overpressure.

Jack O'Connor did the same thing, in a different vein, when he convinced the world that the .270 was magically flatter shooting and more (fill in the blank) than (fill in the blank, typically .30-06 comparison though), when there was a difference of maybe a gnat's hair or two, at ranges well beyond what anyone should be shooting game at.

Chronos and pressure trace equipment let the air out of both. Entertaining writing, but take both with a grain of salt. Or several.

·
Registered
70 Posts
JBelk, you mentioned trying to break a press at school, and that got me wondering: those of you who seem to know so much above the average Joe Reloader, how did you learn all of this? It can't be a simple reloading class.
It might be something to spend some money on to stimulate the mind after retirement.

Thank you.
The answer to this question can be found here!

·
Premium Member
15,081 Posts
That ain't me! That BB gun would have been put back together when I was six years old if I had the knack.

·
The Shadow
7,948 Posts
Seems there are so many things to disassemble!
Speaking of disassembling things, I got a chuckle out of this on a fire a while back.

·
11,204 Posts
AND to prove them wrong!

I need one of those hoodies!!

RJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
For the past 50 plus years I have read every book , magazine article and NRA publication I could get my hands on . I have a book case filled with books , Handloaders Digest , dozens of reloading manuals , new and old . One of my latest manuals "Sixgun Cartridges & Loads" by Elmer Keith 1936... and I learned a few new things from it .
Back in the days BC (Before Computers) you learned from reading ... anything in print was fair game ... Hatcher's Notebook , Lyman Publications . And after reading you learned by doing...casting bullets , loading and shooting ...you honed your skills and got good then got better ... I guess it's called experience .
The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #2 and #3 along with some NRA Cast Bullet Guides were my main learning guides and got me going ...just recently bought the new Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4 and Lymans 50th edition anniversary Reloading Handbook ... I can't believe 50 years has passed by so quickly ... it's been a lot of fun and the computer has opened up more information and the ability to "talk" with other caster's ... I enjoy this a lot, thanks guys !
Gary
If you enjoyed elders books you need to find a copy of bob bagels, game loads and practical ballistics, a very good read.

·
Registered
694 Posts
If you enjoyed elders books you need to find a copy of bob bagels, game loads and practical ballistics, a very good read.
Got it ...about 1980 when it was still availible .
My hobby is collecting old gun books ... I have a bookcase full of them .
Gary

·
Registered
57 Posts
P.O.'s destructive tests of bolt action rifles were legendary, involving clamped down barreled actions, bunkers, double charges, and long strings tied to triggers. As I remember the winner was the Arisaka 6.5mm stock military form, finally came apart with some kind of double load, and a cleaning rod inserted to the tip of the chambered round, the barrel was blown out of the intact action. He said the later war rifles were not of that quality. I wish Elmer Keith had written more of his destructive tests. Both authors were intriguing and required objective readers.

·
11,204 Posts
The truly sad thing is, people still believe what Elmer wrote to be fact. He didn't blow up anything to test it, it blew up because he was

Well, I'm better off to stop there.

The point is, the testing facilities of that day were no where near as accurate or as reliable as anything we have today that comes in a yellow box (for pressure) or the green box with sticks out the top (for velocity)

RJ

Reactions: MZ5 and Darkker

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
.....Which is what i've suggested his worshippers do, several times now.....

No one ever talks about his smith work, they just ramble on about his nonsense.
Thrust, velocity, pressure, and "signs"...
All hallmarks of Ackley's cult of nonsense.

Cheers
Yep, get a chuckle out of his M14, M1A and 1911 posts. He once said a 1911 had a toggle action. Whew!.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts