Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are cool looking rifles- the forearm wood extends along the sides of the reciever. Also has a retractable sling in the buutstock. Found a little Bushnell 4X custom .22 scope that looks perfect on the rifle.

Anyone have one? Mine cycles while firing, but will not extract if you try it by hand. Any advice would be welcome.

PS-I've already cleaned the innards, etc.

Thanks,

Ric

·
Banned
115 Posts
Try looking up some information on the Marlin Model 60, that's what your rifle looks like to me. Don't hold me to that, I know I've cleaned and fired several different Mod 60's in the past and a few of those have done the same thing that you're talking about. They cycle fine when firing normal LR ammo, but if you try to single shoot a short it doesn't eject right. I never got it figured out, I shrugged it off and gave it back (as that's not the problem I was asked to look at.) I have a JC Higgins Mod 44DL, lever action and I love it. Almost all of the JC Higgins rifles where either modeled after a Marlin counterpart, or a rifle purchased from Marlin by Higgins with no markings and Higgins put there marks on them. You might be able to find some info at NumrichGunparts.com, they have a lot of schematics and stuff like that. Hope you get it worked out.

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
Look like this?

Sorry for the poor quality cell phone picture:

The extractor does get worn over time, and it sounds like yours is just not catching the rim as well as it did way back when it was new. Works fine when fired becasue it really doesn't NEED an extractor to work (have been some guns, like the Beretta Minix and Jetfire pistols, theat had no extractor at all).

Been some debate, but believe it was a hi Standard made rifle, sold under the JC Higgins (Sears) trademark. Will go looking for a parts diagram.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Made by High Standard, don't have the exact cross reference in front of me here in the house. Numrich does have parts. I suggest checking the extractor for dirt, wear , or weak spring. I suggest shooting only long rifle ammo as the shorts usually don't have enough push to cycle the action, even tho the barrel may be marked S,L, and LR. Here endeth the lesson. Goatwhiskers the Elder.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all. Turns out there was a bur in the chamber and the firing pin was broke-shop I bought it from fixed everything no charge. Shot pretty well at 50 yards. Pretty cool rifle.

Ric

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry for the poor quality cell phone picture:

The extractor does get worn over time, and it sounds like yours is just not catching the rim as well as it did way back when it was new. Works fine when fired becasue it really doesn't NEED an extractor to work (have been some guns, like the Beretta Minix and Jetfire pistols, theat had no extractor at all).

Been some debate, but believe it was a hi Standard made rifle, sold under the JC Higgins (Sears) trademark. Will go looking for a parts diagram.
that is a neat rifle and I think it is a clone of the Marlin M60. I like the forend lines and the built in sling is kinda neat too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts