Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any great jerkey recipes they would like to share?? We're rolling in venison right now...

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
I generally slightly freeze my venison to make it easier to slice thinly.  Cut venison into strips that are about 1/8" thick.  Trim all fat and gristle from venison strips.

Marinade the venison strips in the mixture below for three days in the refrigerator, preferably in a glass container.

4 cups brown sugar
2 cups soy sauce
3 tablespoons worchestershire sauce
1 teaspoon tobasco sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar

Mix the ingredients thoroughly and set aside.  Layer your venison into the glass container, pouring enough of the marinade to cover each layer before adding the next layer of meat.  Cover with plastic wrap and marinade for three days.

Pull venison strips from marinade and drain, then arrange on smoker racks, applying liberal amounts of fresh coarse ground black pepper and paprika to the meat before placing in smoker.  Smoke meat for 4-6 hours using a mild smoke such as apple, alder or aspen wood chips.  Leave in smoker to dehydrate meat until fairly dry, but yet still pliable and not brittle.  We store our jerky put up in this fashion in gallon size glass pickle jars for months at a time without any spoilage.

Great jerky.... every time!

God Bless, and enjoy!

Marshall

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
Thanks Marshall!  I've been looking for a jerky recipe also.

Will try it... but does 4 cups of brown sugar dissolve into that small amount of liquid?  Or do you melt on the stove?

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Mike,

Good point,

I usually put it into a corningwear type pan and Nuke it in the microwave oven for however long it takes to heat things up until it dissolves totally into solution.

Sorry to have omitted that little detail!

Too, the marinade may be used for several batches of jerky!  Just make sure it stays refrigerated, and use it on subsequent batches of meat until it is either consumed or you're out of venison. (within reasonable time frames of course)

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried Marshalls recipe. So far, I can''t seem to keep any for myself, the kids will eat it on sight!! This is easily the best jerkey recipe  I've tried yet. Since this one worked so well with brown sugar in it, I'm going to try a batch with barbecue sauce. It should work.

·
36,236 Posts
Very glad to hear that as I have a batch marinating in the fridge and will be smoking in a day or two.  Can't wait and will also post my impressions.

·
36,236 Posts
Another satisfied customer.... ran a batch through the smoker and now have discovered the second good use for deer meat, the other being filler for my wild pig sausage....

Seriously, this is good stuff, can't wait to try some on the next pig that wanders out in front of the muzzle.  I only ran it for about 2.5 hours in my smoker, and I used hickory for wood chips (mesquite being my only other convenient choice).

With a digital thermomether & remote probe (how did we ever get along without these little doodads?) I tried to keep the temperature just over 200 degrees F.  My smoker is a little tempermental but generally was above 200 and below 225 or so.

A few pieces got too close to the fire and were somewhat cremated (dogs didn't seem to mind much) but the majority came out great.  Even my 15 month old son kept pestering me for more of it, despite all the pepper on it!

So give it a try if you have some spare venison in the freezer, it is a great recipe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi---I'm new here, so here goes. I don't have a smoker, so am wondering-- think  this would work in a dehydrator (maybe add a little liquid smoke for "smoker" flavor)? Thanks in advance    John

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It works fine, John. I didn't smoke mine either. I do believe that a light smoking could only make it even better.

·
36,236 Posts
Tried Marshall's jerky recipe with moose meat (friend gave me a small roast).  Yum!  Now I have to think of an excuse to go moose hunting.....

·
Banned
18 Posts
tasty jerky -- no strings attached

Has anyone tried using ground meat? It's also a good way to use up any meat that's been getting passed over in the freezer, or to make room for fresher meat.
You can use your own spice recipe (I get a commercial mix that's made nearby.) Use the finer grinder plate, not the coarse one, and mix flavorings with the ground meat, refrigerate overnight to let everything soak up good.
I use a template (1/4" masonite is good) with a cutout about 6X8", lay it on the table and cover with a sheet of Saran Wrap, lay on enough mixture to more than fill the cutout, and cover with another sheet of Saran Wrap. Get out the ol' rolling pin and roll it all out, getting the corners filled too. Any excess will squeeze out the sides and be used for the next piece.
Lay finished pieces on trays for the smoker, oven, or dehydrator, dry to the moisture you want, and get outa the way! I picked this up several years ago, the fellow I was with transformed Sunday's buck into Tuesday's jerky, and Ive used his method ever since. The uniform thickness is the secret to having it dry evenly, and having it ground is the secret to saving your teeth trying to bite it off (if you still have teeth!)
After it's done you can break it into any size you want, even crumble it and add to your trail mix or pemmican.

·
Banned
87 Posts
:p I've been making jerky for awhile and like most any recipe, but the one I usually stick with is pretty simple. It goes like this. Like most people, ya get rid of all the crappy parts especialy the tallow & fat. Cut it up any darn way ya want to as long as it's thin. Let it soak in Dr. Pepper for about three days then put it on a paper towell and press down on it once to get the excess off. Now rub some garlic pepper, both sides, and put it in your dryer untill it's how you like it. I usually put mine in for about 10 hours. That stuff makes a mighty nice chew in a cold old goose blind and it ain't to bad when your just walking out on a hike. But don't kiss nothing right after a chew except your dog maybe, probably won't bother your dog. I eat mine just about any old time I want except when the wife gets friendly.
Bob

·
36,236 Posts
Bob, that's fascinating, but it makes sense. The acid in the soda helps break down the tougher parts of the tissue, and the sugar should help cure it.

As for the garlic - bet it keeps the vampires away!!!!!

·
Banned
87 Posts
MikeG, Both my wife and I eat alot of garlic and I must say we have not had any vampire attacts so you may be right. Actually there is something in the Dr Pepper that will take away any bad gameyness like from a old rutting buck. 7UP works preety good too;) I found a bag of jerky that we had misplaced from the previous year and it tasted just like we had made it fresh.
Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts