Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some suggestions on a scope for my .270. Price range around $200. I don't get to shoot much so i need a scope that is going to stay sighted in. I don't want to find out after missing a deer that my sights are off. I would prefer variable 3-9 or less.
Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
First, it is unlikely that any scope will change its settings. It is very likely that the gun will change its point of impact over time in storage. If you dismantle the gun to clean and put it back together, it will change its POI. Wood will absorb moisture, or dry up and warp just a bit. But the scope will likely not change its settings, no matter which one you buy.

Second, for those reasons, don't go hunting without checking the sights on your gun, no matter what scope is on it.

Third, for $200 there are lots of scopes that will work, at least for a while. What you buy with more expensive scopes is good optics, reliable adjustment, and long life. I have had very good luck with Leupold scopes, but getting one (at least here in Canada) for less than $200 is hard. They are not the only scopes that work, but I recommend them to anyone who asks.

Lastly, the sight on a gun is a vital part of how much you will enjoy the gun, and is also vital for its function (shooting accurately). A good one will last a lifetime, so spend enough to get a good quality scope, and it will seem very cheap indeed in about 15 years.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The Burris Fullfield line are very usable scopes for that price range. I have never had one that failed or performed poorly. There is brighter glass out there for dusk and dawn perfomance, but you will have to pay more for it. No free lunches in optics. This is a pretty good package. I have the binos and they are handy. In fact, they are very handy when you consider they are pretty much free! http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=612354

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
Jim,

$200 for a scope gets you what I call a 'tweener...it's between the cheap scopes and the really good ones. In addition to the excellent Burris mentioned above, the Nikon Prostaff is another good option in that price range, but the one I am really wanting to try out is one of the latest Redfield Revolution offerings (now owned/produced by Leupold). Growing up, Redfield scopes were the best we could afford and they were always good enough for our needs, so I guess you could say I'm brand-loyal to them. :)

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
i'll throw another vote out there for the elite 3200, they are a great scope, i put a 3-9x 3200 on a 7mag that weighed less than 7lbs w/o scope and once zeroed it has held its zero for a few years now. great glass for the money!!

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
I'm very impressed with the Bushnell Elite 3200 in 2.5-7x32 that I put on my Marlin 336. Very nice.

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
Agree with Bird Dog; the Burris Fullfield II is a good value. I've used them with satisfaction, as have friends. I haven't tried the Bushnells or Nikons (or Redfield Revolutions), although suspect they will give happy results too.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
just make sure that after spending 200.00 or there abouts on the decent scope you have a couple extra dollars left to spend on a good decent rock solid but affordable base and rings. a 10,000.00 scope aint worth squat in $3.25 rings and bases.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The Bushnell 3200 or the Burris Fullfield II are good scopes. I have 3-of the 3200 and 2-of the fullfields. The guns I have them mounted on are not my every day shooters, so when I do bring them out for hunting season, they get taken to the range to check their zero. As mentioned earlier, I am sure that the scope is OK, I am checking the guns POI.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jim

From looking at specs. the Nikon buckmasters at 3 power FOV is 35ft. at 75 yds. while others are about 33ft. at 100 yds. wouldn't the FOV be bigger at greater distance? Does the Buckmaster have that much better FOV? I compared some at the store and it did seem a little wider view but it's hard to tell in the store. I'm leaning between the 3200 and the Buckmaster.

What do you think?
Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
jim

I've never heard of Vortex before but that FOV sounds great. I do alot of shooting at game showing up suddenly on the run. Larger FOV makes it easier to find the animal in the scope.
Where can a person check these out? I can't seem to find a store that carries Vortex in MN.
Does anyone have any opinions on these Scopes?

Jim

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
we're about to find out how well their customer service is. i have an older B&L 4000 Elite that apparently has a bad erector assembly, as it wont hold it's POI. i really want them to fix this one as i can't find this size and magnification anymore. (it's a 1.5-6x36) but if they can't fix it maybe they will toss me a 3-9x40 4200. time will tell.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
we're about to find out how well their customer service is. i have an older B&L 4000 Elite that apparently has a bad erector assembly, as it wont hold it's POI. i really want them to fix this one as i can't find this size and magnification anymore. (it's a 1.5-6x36) but if they can't fix it maybe they will toss me a 3-9x40 4200. time will tell.
Update:
i was told today that they (bushnell ) fixed the scope and is shipping it back to me as i type. when i get it and wring it out i'll start a seperate thread on how they did.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Leupold's VX-1 line are very good and durable scopes. They run about $219 -$229 for the 2-7x33 and the 3-9x40. Ive got a VX1 2-7x33 on my .375 H&H since I bought it and I havent had any issue with it ever.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.