Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first topic in this wonderful forum.

I own some big bore handguns and the .475 Linebaugh is missing in my collection.

I own one FA and an other will come in a couple of month.

I have a .500 long made by John Linebaugh on the road (have no idea when it will be in my hands) need to be finished and need to cross the Atlantic ;).

I have heard that FA revolvers in .475 accept only case made by Honardy or Starline/BBA but not the wildcat made from a 45-70 brass.

I love very much how the FA revolvers are built and have a gun dealer close where I live. Regarding the price for these 2 guns in Belgium is very similar.

What is for you the best choice for this .475 John Linebaugh or FA?

Thanks for your help. Cheers.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I do not have an answer for you but would like to welcome you here. I have seen you over at AR. I think you will like it here as well.

Terry

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi twillis,

Hi Terry many thnaks for your welcome. I appreciate it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The Freedom Arms revolver is extremely well made. I have one in .454 and you are correct, the FA revolver's window and cylinder is not large enough to use .475 Linebaugh made from .45-70 brass. It must use the smaller rimmed Hornady brass, or you need to turn the rims down on the .45-70. As far as quality goes between a Freedom Arms and a Linebaugh, that is pretty much in the eye, and pocket book, of the beholder. From the Linebaugh pistols that I have looked at, they are decidedly better built than the Freedom Arms. But, you will pay about $500 more for the Linebaugh than the FA locally (slightly higher on the cost of the Linebaugh conversion, but you have to remember to add the price of the new revolver that you must supply to him for conversion, unless he is providing completed guns now, I have not kept up with his doings in the last few years). As to them being $500 better, I guess it depends on how you value your money spent. The FA revolver will do everything the Linebaugh revolver will do (except use .45-70 cases as the parent case) and be just as accurate, but the fit, finish and smoothness of the Linebaugh is just enough better that you can see and feel the hand built one at at time difference. Since case forming is not a chore I particularly like to do, and I have to do quite a bit of it, I would opt to use the Hornady or Starline brass in either revolver. I do not take that much joy in forming and trimming down cases like the .45-70 to .475 Linebaugh dimentions, not when factory brass is readily available. I love Linebaugh handguns, and cannot say anything bad about them, and John Linebaugh is a top notch guy to talk to and a complete gentleman, but if money were a deciding factor, I honestly do not think you would ever regret getting a Freedom Arms revolver. But, if you have the extra money to spend, I would spend it to get the Linebaugh. Remember, this is just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it. Good luck. I'm sure you will love the .500 Long.

·
Registered
176 Posts
you allready know my opinion Bernard so Ill keep quiet. I cant wait to see you shoot something with the .500 max. I dont know who will be hurting more you or the pig! Seriously I love my linebaughs you know that. But theres nothing I can say bad about FA guns either. there a **** of a gun. I do know one thing I see Johns guns selling used for more then they did new and you will never see that in a FA gun and he makes them BLUED!! now I dont want to here any comments about the stainless one Im having him build me!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Linebaugh Vs FA

Just for info, my local gun smith also turns out the Linebaugh revolvers. Have seen a couple of guns, and very nice work. Several that he has made are in Africa, carried by big game guides. Ifin anybody is interested his info:

Jack Huntington
JRH Advanced Gun Smithing
21854 Meyer Ravine
Grass Valley Ca 95949
(530) 268 6877

http://jackhunt.Hypermart.net

Gun Runner

·
Registered
176 Posts
Lloyd Smale said:
you allready know my opinion Bernard so Ill keep quiet. I cant wait to see you shoot something with the .500 max. I dont know who will be hurting more you or the pig! Seriously I love my linebaughs you know that. But theres nothing I can say bad about FA guns either. there a **** of a gun. I do know one thing I see Johns guns selling used for more then they did new and you will never see that in a FA gun and he makes them BLUED!! now I dont want to here any comments about the stainless one Im having him build me!
Thats quite a local gunsmith you have there Im lucky he doesnt live near me or I wouldnt be able to afford to eat!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I guess by way of answering your question, I'll ask you whether you prefer Mercedes or BMW? Heck of a choice you have!
Mark

·
Registered
472 Posts
"Just for info, my local gun smith also turns out the Linebaugh revolvers..."

I've seen Linebaugh copies made by other 'smiths. Beware that they do NOT all build guns the same way John does. I asked one of the "custom" 'smiths about how he opened up the frame window for the larger cylinder (Linebaughs cylinders for 475 and 500 are larger diameter), he replied that he didn't, the cylinder was the same diameter. That's all I needed to know about that 'smith and his Linebaugh caliber guns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts