Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of us own or hunt with "John Wayne" style large loop lever action rifles? Do they offer added benefits over rifles with the standard levers? Or, do you just like their looks?

Thanks,
TIMBERWOLF

·
Registered
628 Posts
Timberwolf,

No, I don't have the large loop, but have seriously considered it on several occasions.  When I am hunting in cold weather, my Marlin 336 becomes a single shot.  I can't get my fingers into the factory loop with my gloves on without  forcing them in, and then just two fingers, my little finger doesn't have any room.  I think there should be a "Hunters Loop" the same shape as the factory loop, but large enough for my gloved handed to fit!  It would not be as large as some of the John Wayne style loops.

Lobo in NM

·
Registered
87 Posts
brockmansrifles.com has a great one .I have it on one of their Master Guide guns.  I think he calls it a glove lever loop works great,very comfortable

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a big loop lever on my 30-30 Winchester. I'm still not sure I like it. It works well, but I'm not comfortable with the feel of it. It does work well with gloves though...

·
Banned
145 Posts
I had one in the 44 Mag 94 Wrangler.  I loved the way the gun handled and looked but it was the first year of the "crater" safety.  It also had that silly saddle ring.  The darn thing wouldn't shoot worth a toot and I traded it off.
The large ring is mostly for looks and I hear the guys in CAS don't like them since they actually slow them down in competition.  I found that they will not fit well in most gun cases or sleeves due to the size of the lever.  But they sure do look sharp!

PS. Some years ago I bought a large ring lever from Gun Parts Corp. that would fit the pre 64 Winchesters.  They also had one listed for the post 64 model 94.  I don't know if they still make or list these though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts