Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Many
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just arrived this afternoon. Its heavy, beautiful to look at, and my cat likes the box it came in. So far that is as far as I have gotten.

I ordered a Weaver rail for a scope (no scope yet), 50 rounds of ammo (300 HP), lifetime warranty, and a couple of snap caps.

This is my entry into the big guns. I have a couple of 45-70s and 12 Ga Shotguns that I shoot occasionally. Been shooting since I was 8 years old and am now 83. Wouldnt be here now but my wife died a few months ago and I am now unsupervised with a pocket full of money for the first time in 65 years. Its scary what you can do when no one is there to moderate your impulses.

Before I go to the range:

1. What kind of recoil pad should I replace the Savage supplied pad with? I am assuming the recoil is more than a 12 Ga, and that can be painful if not properly mitigated.

2. If I can find a range here in South Texas I want to try some long range target shooting.

3. I have the loading equipment for all my guns and want to do some reloading on this one as well.

4. It would be nice if I could find some people in the Corpus Christi area that I could associate with. as I am trying to get into some sort of activity to get my mind off the loss of my wife of 65 years. Was going to get back into flying but no one will insure me at my age and the racing club I used to belong to doesnt want me back on the track either.....LOL

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
Many
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one and that is my plan.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,885 Posts
Hope it doesn't have one of those anti-tank muzzle brakes on it that will clear all benches near you of shooters due to excessive muzzle blast.

·
Registered
Many
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, thats what it has

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,331 Posts
Recoil is to subjective to give you an answer. I have a little brother who thinks Painless "kicks hard". Painless is my over 20#, 308.
So he bought a lightweight 338 WM, with a recoil pad which can best be described as a Staypuft marshmallow. It's about that thick, about that resistant to compression.

Guess which rifle he thinks kicks "less"?

Cheers

·
Registered
110 Posts
Shooting buddy of mine has the exact same Savage. The kick isn't that bad, but putting on a limbsaver wouldn't be a bad choice. FWIW I'm 67 and my model 11 in 308 is waaaaay worse. The factory brake works well however because of it's design, boat tail bullets will not stabilize well, although we got this one to shoot to a mile with hand loads using 285 ELDM's and H1000. The 300 SMKs shoot well also, and Team Never Quit produces a good custom ammo, albeit a bit pricey.
Get a muzzle brake that is not flat across the face. 11 degree or better is what I'm told it will take to stabilize boat tail bullets. I plan to try out a new one in the next few weeks on buddies Savage.

There's a new range open up here north of Austin called Reveille Peak Range that offers shooting out to a mile. Vist RPRrange.com for information, and talk to Bud Johnson about shooting the 338LM. He's a Marine, very experienced, and "collected" more lead than most men lucky enough to still be alive.

I know it's a long drive but hey, I make the 4 hr drive to Port Aransas and Padre Island for the fishing so it's practically next door by Texas standards....LOL

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey, if the cat likes the box, I take it as approval of the .338! Don't forget your ears.

·
Registered
Many
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shooting buddy of mine has the exact same Savage. The kick isn't that bad, but putting on a limbsaver wouldn't be a bad choice. FWIW I'm 67 and my model 11 in 308 is waaaaay worse. The factory brake works well however because of it's design, boat tail bullets will not stabilize well, although we got this one to shoot to a mile with hand loads using 285 ELDM's and H1000. The 300 SMKs shoot well also, and Team Never Quit produces a good custom ammo, albeit a bit pricey.
Get a muzzle brake that is not flat across the face. 11 degree or better is what I'm told it will take to stabilize boat tail bullets. I plan to try out a new one in the next few weeks on buddies Savage.

There's a new range open up here north of Austin called Reveille Peak Range that offers shooting out to a mile. Vist RPRrange.com for information, and talk to Bud Johnson about shooting the 338LM. He's a Marine, very experienced, and "collected" more lead than most men lucky enough to still be alive.

I know it's a long drive but hey, I make the 4 hr drive to Port Aransas and Padre Island for the fishing so it's practically next door by Texas standards....LOL
What is a linbsaver?
I would like to hear about your experience with the new muzzle brake.
Yeah, 4 hours is not too much in Texas. I have been known to do that for dinner.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,598 Posts
Google "limb saver"

It's a slip on recoil pad or they make one you wear under your jacket/over your shirt. They sell them at Walmart. There's other brands too, but Limbsaver is kinda how the are known.

RJ

·
Registered
Many
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Limbsaver is a company that makes more than just "slip-on pads" & shoulder pads. They also make regular grind-to-fit & pre-fit recoil pads, slings, & even archery stuff. Go to their website.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you are going to load for it, I recommend the 250 gr Sierra match kings. It’s a medium load of imr4350 with a wlrm primer. This load has shot well out of 4 different rifles with each one being under 1 moa and I have shot it out to a mile. The recoil is very light with this load. Here is a picture with that load out of my savage 110 fcp at 820yds

1 - 15 of 15 Posts