Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just getting started casting my own . Is there other mould makers besides Lee , Lyman , RCBS and Seaco ? I'm looking for big heavy cast boolits with a wide meplat for my 44 mag and 454 casull but the biggest bullet I can find is Lymans 325 for 454 and a 310 grn. Lee . I heard Ranch Dog is out of the game now , so who else is there ?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts
Veral makes the best molds and designs and his are lathe turned, so they tend to be more perfectly round than others. But you do pay for that, and if he is outside your budget, NEI has conventional cherry cut molds, and one of their existing designs may fit your purpose? They have a 350 grain truncated cone .429, and a 380 grain in .451, though I would call and ask the lengths to check their compatibility with your rifling twist rate before buying, to be sure you can stabilize them OK? The Miller twist estimator is available in Excel from for free download from my file repository, here, and in an online version at the JBM ballistics calculator site.

Mountain Molds lets you design your own. I've never had one of their molds, so I can't address the quality, but I've not heard any complaints, either. I haven't looked at it closely enough to tell whether it will let you design a tumble lube bullet like RD's or not?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,095 Posts
I bought one from Mountain Molds, but haven't had time to mess with it. Looks impressive though!

Nick, you need any .501 handgun bullets, by chance?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have mountain molds mold for a 270g 41M WFN. Its the only mold I've used, but I've got no complaints.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts