Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just was given a winchester 1400 for free in 12gauge 2 3/4 inch what can you tell me about this gun are they durrable? and what is there to learn about the poly-choke ? is the ted williams model 300 any diffrent?:)

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
The 1400 was made for a period of time, then design changes were made and the new model was called 1400 MK II. IIRC, the changes were in the trigger group and the feed throat design and mag tube.

The Ted Williams M300 is a variation, the buttstock and receiver are different, but I think that the guts interchange.

The basic design is used in both the pump and autoloaders, including the recent F.N. Police and P-12 law enforcement models.

A durable gun, though some parts may be hard to find. Worn or broken Feed Throats would be my biggest concern.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
The Poly-Choke gives you a great deal of versitility but at the cost of ugliness, to some. There are six marked settings and you can exceed these by 2 but beyond full you should not use shot larger than #5 lead. I doubt your choke was made for steel but the folks at Poly-Choke might know and they are very nice people. Try [email protected] with your questions about that product.

I love having the option of changing a choke with a simple turn vice hunting up a wrench, unscrewing one and then screwing in another, especially when birds are trying to knock my hat off my head. You can buy a Poly that will screw into modern threaded barrels too, so life can be very good.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts

Well.......... Since the Winchester Models 120 (Ranger), Sears 200 (M-1200), 1200, 1300, 140 (Ranger), Sears 300 (M- 1400) & the 1400 have long been known & referred to as "gunsmith's friends", I wouldn't exactly describe them as durable.

They are, however, "good 'nuf " for occassional shooting/hunting.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The 1300 has been improved and upgraded into the current models. The 1400 and 1200 were problematic. Basically, Winchester never made a good semi auto from they time they declined John Browning's design over a hundred years ago until the SuperX, and although it's devotees act like it is the holy grail, it too had big problems. The pieces to fix the problems with the Super X are available. The Super X 3s seem to be good to go out of the box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts