Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I need to make some different dies for sizing, but this is what my 41-240 sizer did to the 93.x66 Sako brass.

Length ended up at 2.590" after being blown out with COW.

Looks like a 405 size die will do the job just fine.

Might be able to use a 405 Reamer, if the base is around .453 diameter....and add the belt clearance.

Any way this case with a .450 base holds 77.5 grains of water.

Even with the small base, looks like the same capacity as the 405 Winchester.

So load data is available to start with.

and

Some Ruger data is also out there.

Base diameter of the brass is .473" not the standard .465" of 06 brass.....better for belting.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Nice looking round. What is your planned use for it? Depending on what you put the round in, you can probably well exceed 405 Winchester pressures. That might start to overstep the limits of my shoulder though if it were to get too hot.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Plans are for a Savage bolt gun, 22" barrel.

Just looking to launch a 300 grainer at 2300, maybe 2400.

Going to cut some of the new Barnes 300Xs back to 250 ish grainers.

Also going to get some Woodleigh 300s.

May also get some Northfork 360s.

Just noticed that the 405 has an 8.1/2 degree forcing cone. The 45-70 and 450 Marlin have a 20 degree. Making this even better for shooting shorter length cases if needed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Made some new belting dies that match the side wall taper of the 9.3x66 brass.

Then I use the arbor press for the square edge belter. I need to make a new one of these with the proper .472 Diameter.

Mine is a little large, so the belts still need a little clean up in the lathe.

Now I need to pick a trim length.

Even with the 8.1/2 degree lead, I may have to add some throat.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,568 Posts
Mine is a little large, so the belts still need a little clean up in the lathe.
Question . . .

Won't removing materiel in the web of the case weaken it?

RJ

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Question . . .

Won't removing materiel in the web of the case weaken it?

RJ
I push back [finish with a square edge die] to just over .220, the just trim about .002 off the length and clean up the diameter to .472. So that I am not removing much stock. I have 13 shots out of one case.

I had a blow out at 7 or 8, before I started using the square edge finisher die.

With this refined method, case life should be "normal"........if i keep the pressure at 40,000 they should last a very long time.

Update:

Just took the dies out of the oven[from draw back] and gave the a fine polish. the first one is 2.4625", the next 4 are 2.630". The new slicker finish and some lube added .014 to the length.....before the blow out with COW.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I loaded the 268 grain, this should work well with 8 degrees and some .413 freebore. Just in case I want to shoot some shorter cases.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The finish and die reamers are ground round. Just need to relieve the cutting flutes.

And either buy or make the pilot bushing. .252 pilot.

I did not make the belt step, I will cut that separate.

8 degree taper, .100 freebore ].313] and 1.1/2 degree throat. It is like having .200 freebore.

While I had the taper set, I decided to cut the die reamer also.

And the best part is, you can also shoot belted 06 brass.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Question, why not just use the .416 Rem Mag case? Did I miss something?
I have a 41x240x2.170", so I want to give it a big brother.

In the 405B, I can also shoot cases made from shorter 06 cases.

Just my version of a 405 Winchester in a bolt gun.

And it is Ohio legal!

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
OK, so the 405 Winchester is a rimmed case. You made a belted case with the same general dimensions?

What is the resulting head size? .473"?

While not very common, there are bolt-action rifles made to handle rimmed cartridges. The SMLE, Siamese Mauser, and a few others jump to mind.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Standard .473 head, that will fit in my savage test gun.

I already have a 41-240x2.170" , now it can have a big brother.

I just like to make things.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Standard .473 head, that will fit in my savage test gun.

I already have a 41-240x2.170" , now it can have a big brother.

I just like to make things.
OK, now I get it. :)

I agree that a straight-walled cartridge, with a belt and the internal capacity of a 405 Winchester, has merit. Keeping the pressures reasonable, this would at the very least emulate the round Teddy Roosevelt used to harvest many animals in his lifetime. The fact that it meets regulations in some states makes it that much more interesting.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The barrel is threaded and the chamber is cut. The throat is cut for the long 268 Barnes. Now I need a muzzle brake, don't want to mess up the nice factory stock that is on my Axis!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have actually started working on putting together a round similar to your short 41. I want it to fit into a short action 783. My plan is to set it up for the 300 gr Barnes TSX. I have not seen the 268 Barnes you are talking about. Is it a cut down 300 gr Barnes?

Do you have a drawing of the cartridge for your 41-240 2.170" that you might share? That is almost exactly what I am coming up with. I remember that you are pushing some good velocities. If I get around 1900-2000 fps, I would be pretty happy.

I can't wait to hear how your full lenth 41 turns out. It should be an attention getter.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The 41-240 2.170" will push a 300 grain Hornady SP 2150 out of a 14.5" barrel. The cut off Barnes 240s also shot well.

The 268 is a 300 shortened .100. The eight post should show them.

How long is the magazine in your 783?

·
Registered
367 Posts
The rifle I am buying is a 783 in 450BM. When I do the barrel swap, I will swap in a 308 magazine. I have not checked the length of the magazine, but would assume it would at least handle the standard max COL of 2.8". Probably a little more.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts