Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, you guys talked me into it, I just ordered a Win 1886 EL.  Should be here next week, I hope.  Then I get stock up on dies, brass, recoil  pads, etc.

Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good move,Tom. This gun is the one that caused me the least buyer's remorse of any I have ever bought. My bolt guns have not seen the light of day since I got it.
Hold off on the recoil pad til you see if you need it. Like someone posted earlier, it may be nice to add a little length if your a tall guy but Rem. 405's at 1800 aren't that big of a deal unless I'm sitting behind it at the bench, and I'm a very average sized guy.
Just think of all the fun your going to have. Your friends will be jellous, I guarantee.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I will add my congratulations!  Good choice!

I agree with bigal to hold off ordering a recoil pad, unless, like me, you find the need for extra length.  The recoil is mild because of the stock design.  My thumb hit me in the nose, and that had to be rectified.

I think you'll love it!

dclark

·
Registered
510 Posts
Right on Tom! I ga-ron-tee that you will love this gun! I don't even own a bolt gun, anymore. Get your KICKS with an 1886!
      Best regards, mike

·
Registered
79 Posts
Now you've done it.  You'll be out buyin' bottom flippers right and left.  Hope you got an understanding missus.  Great choice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the kind words.  Maybe you guys can tell me if the rifle is drilled and tapped for a reciever site like the AO ghost ring, or the Williams FP.

Ordered some starline brass today.  Next to pick up dies and bullets.  Any preference on 350 gr vs 405 gr?

Tom

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tom,

The drill/tap setting will accomodate the Lyman WB66 and the Williams FP71 by my experience.  I can't speak to others.

I have a preference for 400/405 bullets, but that is strictly personal.  The Remington 405s are the cheapest I have found for jacketed bullets.  I have purchased 1,500 and fired about 600 so far.  I have not tried the 350 Hornady, but they should be faster (not something I require) and should have less recoil (something that may be desirable).  Both, of course, will kill elk (the largest animal I will probably hunt) without reservation.  Cost became a factor for shooting large numbers for me, so......

Let us know when it arrives.

dclark

·
Registered
256 Posts
Tom: You are really going to like it I think. If the stock is long enough for you rather than a recoil pad on the rifle get one of the Past Magnum shoulder harness type recoil reducers. Use it when shooting from the bench and go bare in the field. It has the effect of adding about 1/2" to the length of pull. I only got one recently because of bursitis in my shoulder being aggravated by recoil. Wish I'd bought one 40 years ago. Course you can use it with any rifle you own too. besto

1 - 8 of 8 Posts