Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if you guys have been keeping up on your local Gander Mountain specials, you know that for April 24th(friday), 25th(saturday) and 26th(sunday), 3 days only they had Red tag deals, very good deals on a lot of firearms, so i took advantage of it. And saw that they had a Bushmaster M4A3 DCH Patrolman 5.56/.223, for $899.00, $849.00 after mail in rebate. So it was an excellent price for it, btw Regular price was $1199.00. So i only had only 300 bucks left from my check and about another 300 on credit so i went ahead and put it on layaway, i paid half of it and now i have to pay the remainding $460.00 on it the next time i go which will probably next week. When i get my next check. So problem is, they gave the one from the rack, with a red tag, and it was scratched up pretty bad even on the barrel and magazine ( I have never purchased a Rifle that was scratched up like this one ). And the last time i bought an AR from them, they went and grabbed one from the back, brand new in it's case, when i opened the box it was still sealed in the plastic clear bag and free of nicks, scratches etc. And this time i guess because they had such a good sale they sold alot of the same ARs that i bought. And they probably only had the ones on the rack left. So the guy who worked there told me " i will put this one back in its box with the reciept, so it can be ready for the next time you come and pick it up " so because it was such a good price, i said why bother asking if they had any in the back that they can give me, better (which i doubt they had anymore). So now what should i do ? I definitely don't want a Brand New scratched up AR. So can i come next week and if they have some new ones fresh in stock, in the back when i finish paying it, can i ask them to give me one from their inventory? And would they give it to me? Or what else do you guys recommend me to do ? Btw i know i am freaking out about the scratches but i am not paying a lot of money for a Tool that is suppose to be "Brand New" but have scratches on it. You don't buy a brand new car with 0 miles and scratches on it right, as a matter of fact if you got a long scratch on the hood of your brand new you car, that you just bought, you would be pretty pissed off. A car is a tool and gun is a tool. So if scratches are going to get on my AR its going to be from me. So what should i do? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Common Law

So if you guys have been keeping up on your local Gander Mountain specials, you know that for April 24th(friday), 25th(saturday) and 26th(sunday), 3 days only they had Red tag deals, very good deals on a lot of firearms, so i took advantage of it. And saw that they had a Bushmaster M4A3 DCH Patrolman 5.56/.223, for $899.00, $849.00 after mail in rebate. So it was an excellent price for it, btw Regular price was $1199.00. So i only had only 300 bucks left from my check and about another 300 on credit so i went ahead and put it on layaway, i paid half of it and now i have to pay the remainding $460.00 on it the next time i go which will probably next week. When i get my next check. So problem is, they gave the one from the rack, with a red tag, and it was scratched up pretty bad even on the barrel and magazine ( I have never purchased a Rifle that was scratched up like this one ). And the last time i bought an AR from them, they went and grabbed one from the back, brand new in it's case, when i opened the box it was still sealed in the plastic clear bag and free of nicks, scratches etc. And this time i guess because they had such a good sale they sold alot of the same ARs that i bought. And they probably only had the ones on the rack left. So the guy who worked there told me " i will put this one back in its box with the reciept, so it can be ready for the next time you come and pick it up " so because it was such a good price, i said why bother asking if they had any in the back that they can give me, better (which i doubt they had anymore). So now what should i do ? I definitely don't want a Brand New scratched up AR. So can i come next week and if they have some new ones fresh in stock, in the back when i finish paying it, can i ask them to give me one from their inventory? And would they give it to me? Or what else do you guys recommend me to do ? Btw i know i am freaking out about the scratches but i am not paying a lot of money for a Tool that is suppose to be "Brand New" but have scratches on it. You don't buy a brand new car with 0 miles and scratches on it right, as a matter of fact if you got a long scratch on the hood of your brand new you car, that you just bought, you would be pretty pissed off. A car is a tool and gun is a tool. So if scratches are going to get on my AR its going to be from me. So what should i do? Thanks.
ANY fault, design error, damage must be mentioned by the seller. If not, then misrepresentation was committed which gives you every right to cancel the deal or make a lower offer now that you know about the hidden defects. They may decline the new offer but that cancels the deal and you must be reimbursed in full.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
It's puzzling to me that it got so many (or any) scratches while on display! What did they do, send a customer home with it to try out?!? Or, more likely, a salesperson took it home!

·
Registered
93 Posts
If it doesn't appear to have been shot, and the scratches are othersise cosmetic, Id just take it and be happy. My AR has plenty of scratches anyways and to be honest I find it relieving to not have to hold my breath every time it bumps against something.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
sounds like a good excuse to send it out for some cerakote and hydrodipping.

Reactions: sandog

·
Registered
95 Posts
As long as you have not gone through all the paperwork to have it registered as the buyer, when you go in to pick it up, inspect it before you take possession of it, I would think you have the right to decline owner transfer. If they do not have any in stock, maybe you may have to wait for a replacement. The other way would be to accept it as is at a reduced price which probably would be no more then 10% off. As mentioned previously, it will eventually get scratched. My 2 cents

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
I learned in 1991 that you must inspect before you can expect. That lesson has served me well for over 20 years. I should think that because you have not finalized the sale, you can back out and wait for a nicer one to come along. They ain't hard to find, now. My local Walmart has seven or eight of them in the case. I think at least one is an Armalite...

Reactions: 41bear

·
Registered
547 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Next time you go in to pay it off, look closely at the gun and point out the blemishes and ask if they have a better unit. If not, tell them that you are willing to wait for one. If there are going to be scratches on my new gun, I want to be the one who put them there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Next time you go in to pay it off, look closely at the gun and point out the blemishes and ask if they have a better unit. If not, tell them that you are willing to wait for one. If there are going to be scratches on my new gun, I want to be the one who put them there.
+1 to that.
I bought a nice little 20ga. over/under on sale at good ol' F.W. Woolworth years ago.
After a few weeks, the safety stopped working. I brought it back and the sporting department manager gave me a new shotgun (paperwork had to be filled out) and took the defective one back to return to the manufacturer.
Even Wally World doesn't give that kind of service now.

Too bad Ames put them out of business here before going under themselves.

Best of luck on your purchase.
Brig

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you go to pick up your rifle I would ask for an undamaged NIB example, or ask to speak with the manager of their gun department and request a further discount on what is a "floor" or "display" model. If the cosmetic damage is as extensive as you describe, another 20% off should help you learn to love your Bushie.

Alternately, pull the plug on the deal on shop around. IRUNGUNS.COM has some great deals on STAG rifles right now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
AR 15 Opportunity

P*U*R,

This is a fabulous opportunity for you! Those scratches will protect you from the heartbreak of putting them there yourself.

If you plan on putting that rifle to good use, and not just keeping it as a safe queen, there is no harm done by the scratches. It is against Federal Law to sell a rifle, then, take it back... once it has been sold and the Form 4473 signed, it is USED, and must be listed as such.

Don't let the scratches scare you... it hurts the resale value, not the rifle's performance, only, DON'T LET THE STORE KNOW THAT YOU DON'T CARE. Act crest fallen, tell them that the scratches devalue the rifle and you want a pristine one, still in the wrapper... if they don't have it, tell them the advertisement didn't specify it was damaged goods for the price listed... then, offer them a couple hundred dollars less for that rifle. Here's where your poker face is important... if they let you walk away, get halfway out the door and go back and offer them $50 more... you have to act like you WANT an AR 15, just not one with scratches all over it.

Have some fun with this, you could get a great gun for a REALLY low price... they probably paid about $700 for the rifle, and they are losing money on it the longer they keep it, because shelf space costs money.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,453 Posts
I bought a wheelbarrow from a local store a while back, needing it to haul rocks. It had a small dent and they INSISTED on giving me a 'scratch-n-dent' discount, even though I tried to decline it on the basis it was about to get a lot more within the next couple of days.

Finally gave in and let them give me a discount since they were so insistent. Still get a chuckle thinking about it....

Ya never know.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I saw new bushmasters at the last gunshow I went to a few weeks ago for $500. You needed to shop around
+1, a basic hobby grade AR should run between 5 and 600. I'm not familiar with Bushy's models and such, but where are the extra couple hundred bucks ending up with this one, anything fancy?

·
Registered
111 Posts
These guys are trying it on. Whatever you do, don't let them dispose of what is clearly a knocked-about 'demonstrator model' for what is very obviously a near new price. These guys aren't doing you any favours.

Tell them you want a new one or you want a substantial additional discount. If they aren't interested get your money back and go elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts