Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Dad and I took delivery of our new Model 70 Featherweights yesterday in 7mm 08, and other than pulling them out of the box to admire the twins, we haven't even fitted our scopes yet. All the positive comments that have been written and said about the current Model 70 in terms of quality and features (can't talk about accuracy YET, but we'll find out soon!) are definitely on the money. I reckon the Super Grades must be a masterpiece, because the Featherweights are tops.

There's was a lot of concern for Winchester in recent years, and when news of the Model 70 not being made anymore went around the world, it might not have a been a shock for some given the problems at Winchester, but still a sad day for shooters around the world none the less.

I (and many others from what I've read) weren't impressed with the quality of Winchester rifles over recent years, but I just want to add my congratulations for putting out some top rifles this time around. I've read that the new Model 70's are the best ones ever produced, and I've got to say the certainly look and feel the goods. This is my Dad's third Model 70, the first one being a pre '64, and he's handled a lot more over the years. Dad reckons this is the best one he's ever seen. I've handled and fired both of my Dad's earlier models, but this is the first Model 70 I've ever owned.

I own a few Sako's, and it seems Sako have gone down the path Winchester took, and producing lesser quality than what they have in the past. I currently own two Sako 75's and am very happy with them. My Dad briefly owned a Sako 85 until he found that some of his unfired handloads wouldn't load/unload because Sako had altered the dimensions of the obvious in the Sako 85. It promptly went back to the shop unfired. My Dad managed to buy a new unfired Sako 75 in 223 and is very happy with it. The price of Sako's is also bordering on the insane for most people. I bought two Model 70's (bought my Dad's as a thank you to him for all he's done for me over the years!) for the price of one Sako, and I won't be buying another Sako.

I'd just like to publicly praise the efforts of those responsible for bringing back the Model 70 and taking all steps to produce such a wonderful rifle. Apart from a box magazine option, i'm very pleased. I'm just a lover of box magazines. The latest Model 70's are terrific and the finish and features make it a rifle I'm very pleased to own. I just wish Winchester would produce it in 223 and bring back the Compact so I can buy one of those for my son in the future. Anyone heard if the Compact is making a comeback?

Cheers from Downunder, :)

Steve

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
man o man would i like to have me one of those 7-08 featherweights. do keep us posted on how she shoots, the trigger, feeding, everything. hope it turns out to be a tack driver.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys!

I spent a lot of time on the net reading reviews, and reading reviews in magazines is one thing, but when you read about the guys and girls on the net who don't rely on making positive comments in order to pay the bills, you know you're onto something good.

My Dad and I do our own reloading and love working together on our loads. We have a lot of fun doing it, and it's a great way to spend time together, both loading them and testing them.

The guys and girls who making them should be proud of producing such a class rifle. The bolt is the smoothest I have ever seen straight out of the box. I opened the box for the first time, slid the bolt in for the first time and worked it and was amazed at how smooth it was. It was smoother than anything I have ever worked before, and that includes my two Sako's. My new Model 70 Featherweights bolt is smoother out of the box, than my Sako's were when they were new.

The trigger is very impressive as well, and the advertising about zero creep etc is spot on.

I'm going to add a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 with Boone and Crockett reticle. I think it should it be a pretty handy outfit.

When I contacted Winchester Australia about ordering in two of these in 7mm 08, they told me they couldn't tell me what was in the next shipment, but they hoped to have some 7mm 08's in the next shipment. My shooting friends in the U.S are apparently keeping the men and women in Columbia very busy, and they're having trouble keeping up with demand. When I received a phone call earlier this week about them having arrived, I couldn't wait to get myself to the shop.

If you haven't laid eyes on a new Model 70 yet, I can tell you you're going to be very impressed. I know I haven't shot mine yet, but if the quality and features are anything to go by, (as well as the forums I've read!) then I've got nothing to worry about.

I'm sure it's cost the company a great deal of money, and I hope people repay the faith the company put in bring back the Model 70. If that happens Jack, I'm sure you'll get one in 25-06 soon enough. Would love one in 223 as well.

Cheers from Downunder,

Steve

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have had my eye on one of them new fangled model 70 featherweights for quite some time. If and when I go back to work. I think one in 7mm-08 might just find a home in my safe. I love that schnabel forearm with the checkering. I haven't fired one, and would really like to hear your report on accuracy. I absolutely love the way they look.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No worries Smokin! As soon as I get it right to go, you guys and gals will hear all about it. I feel like I'm only doing this rifle half the justice it's due by talking about it now, but I'm so excited to finally own my own Featherweight, and I'm so pleased that the Model 70 is back. I just had to say well done those responsible for bringing them back, and a big thank you to those who put together such a fine rifle in the factory.

I've always loved the Featherweight since I was a boy, and to own my own at last is fantastic. Sorry if I sound like a kid who's just been let loose in a lolly shop, but I just love this rifle.

You couldn't wipe the smile off my Dad's face either. I loved being able to hand over his new rifle to him. When I told him I was buying him a new rifle it brought tears to his eyes. He found it tough to sell his other Model 70's, and to have a new one in his hands again was fantastic to see.

I just got back from my bench after admiring my new pride and joy. It's a pity my Dad is out of town for a few days. It would be great to retreat into our room and chat, admire and get them both ready to give you all some more information.

Cheers from Downunder,

Steve

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
didn’t realize you were way across and down from the pond. you know if you can’t shoot them yet, I think pictures are at least the next step! it will be interesting to see if they both shoot the same loads as well or if they end up being to completely different animals when it comes to the ammo they end up shooting the best. please let us know how all that works out. i like your scope power selection, but granted for me anyway i'm not a huge fan of any of the recticals i have to think with. i'm a duplex kind of a guy on my hunting rifles but most of my hunting is well under 300 yrds and more like 100 - 200 so i have never seen the need to complicate things. :D

·
Registered
654 Posts
Glad you like your M70 FWT's. I have been eyeing them quite alot myself. I love the M70's. My favorite rifle hands down. I have the M70 Stainless Stalker in 338 Win Mag, M70 Sporter in 7mm Rem Mag and a M70 270WSM in a laminated stock. All three of them are excellent shooters and they were all supposedly made during the bad times. I would like a 7-08 or 260 (if they ever chamber one). A 25-06 in a Sporter with a 26" barrel would be an awesome rifle. Great choice in the scope, I have the exact same one on my 338 Win Mag. Very good scope and the B&C reticle is very accurate in my 338. Scotty

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! It's great to hear your thoughts. Will be in contact and tell you all about it as we discover new things. I don't buy a new rifle often, so it's like a new baby to me.

Cheers from Downunder,

Steve

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry guys but I had pics of my new baby to attach her for you to have a look at, but I'm not allowed to post attachments according to the posting rules on my page. A pity really because I wanted to post them as I said I would

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,735 Posts
Steve, you are over the 25 post limit so you should be able to upload now. Make sure they are under 100K (size).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent! Thanks for that Mike. Will try and resize and put some pics up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here you guys! As requested earlier, some pics of my new Featherweight. I'll be adding more in time as my new baby develops

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks mate. I've always wanted to own a Featherweight, and she's a lovely rifle. Very well finished off, and it feels good to give credit to Winchester for making such a wonderful piece of gear.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Congrats on your new guns.

The reason for their quality is their new owners. Winchester rifles are not really Winchester rifles anymore. They may say Winchester, but they are made in the Carolinas.

It's too bad the workers in Conn. and the previous owners didn't make the rifles like they are being made now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks and fair reminder Bandit. I think it it a credit to the change of heart from the current owners to bring them back featuring the quality rifles they are. From what I heard the Model 70 was gone for ever, with the new owners not planning to bring them back. My thoughts are that it was a case of make some real quality rifles and bring Winchester back with real quality rifles, or see the name disappear altogether. You guys in the States probably know more than what we heard in the press over here in Australia.

I still want to give credit to those who are currently building these rifles. They're a lovely rifle, and I'm very happy to finally own a Featherweight.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts