Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´m going to convert my Sako 22 Hornet to a K-Hornet, but I have no experience in how to fireform brass. It would be very nice if someone can inform me about an easy and barrel-saving method on how to fireform the K-hornet from standard cases.

Tank you in advance
TN

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, I'm afraid I've got bad news!
It's almost impossible NOT to fireform brass perfectly for the K-Hornet!
Load the rifle with any standard Hornet ammo, point it downrange, and pull the trigger!  Perfectly formed brass will pop out of the chamber!
Seriously, the only thing you have to worry about is trying to form brass that is old-that is, brass that has already been fired and reloaded many times in a standard Hornet.  Work hardening the brass makes it a little more brittle,  and the case will split at the shoulder rather than form to the chamber perfectly.  Almost all splits can be avoided by using new or once fired brass to form to the K-Hornet.
I suppose if you're really cheap, and have a lot of often reloaded brass for the standard Hornet, it is possible to anneal it before fireforming.  I'd just form new stuff and avoid the hassle.
Proper procedure, actually, is to size the standard case just enough that it is a snug fit in the chamber, with a little "feel" when you close the action or bolt.  The case is then headspacing on the secondary "shoulder" formed where the sizing of the neck stopped.
Trouble is, the standard Hornet case is so steeply tapered that it's questionable if it really headspaces here when you're doing this.  The rim is actually providing the headspacing, and it's really hard to goof up the fireforming of a rimmed case.
Sorry for the long post but I though you needed a little of the theory behind fireforming to put your mind at ease regarding any difficulties with the K.
Incidentally, if you are a bullet caster, a moderate charge of the faster shotgun-type powders (Red Dot, Unique, etc.) with your cast bullet is a much cheaper way to form cases than using jacked bullets a 7-10 cents a pop.
I know you'll have fun with it.  Just seeing the new case shape come of the chamber is entertaining in itself!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tank´s for your advise,
I have recently read an article in a Swedish hunting magazine obout fireforming cases using a small ammount of powder and filled up with corn meal, packet on top and then sealed with wax or a tiny amount of wooden glue.  The article was talking about larger cases such as 6.5-06. But, do you think this method can be adopted also for smaller cases such as Hornet?

Bets regards
TN

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, it can be successful, as long as you stick to the quick shotgun/pistol type powders.  The slower burners don't work, in my experience,  since the pressure doesn't build up high enough to form the case.  Remember, when you do this you are relying on the filler to be the "projectile" that builds pressure.  The "throw weight" just isn't high enough if you use standard rifle-type powders (and here I realize that standard Hornet powders are relatively fast, but not fast enough for this use.  In my experience, if you try the slower powders, you will have only a partially formed case.
I might suggest Bullseye or Red Dot or something similar.  Make sure that the filler is secured so it cannot intermingle with the powder.  If you use salt-laden cornmeal or something similar, you might want to rinse your bore with water to thoroughly clean it and avoid any possible rusting problems that might result.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts