Shooters Forum banner

K98 Authenticity/Preservation?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Highrider 
Hello OP! I'm a new guy to this forum too but kinda old in so many other ways. One of them being firearms conservation and care. Your new to you dou 42 Mauser looks to be a Jim Dandy example of a WW2 bring back that has had the good fortune of being molested by Bubba and his cousins. That beautiful patina overall is what makes the collectors get wobbly knees and reach for their wallets with trembling hands. I ain't kidding. It took over 75 years to get those good looks so don't go and scrub them off now. Scrub the bore, yes, because you are going to shoot it, but the wood and metal parts just need to be rubbed with a coarse rag and Ballistol. That's what the German army always did, metal, wood, leather, everything. The loose stuff will come right off and repeated applications will clean out the pitting. All while you warm it up at the range for a bonus. The present condition would bring north of 1k in today's market so pause and reconsider that oooo steel wool. Four O bronze wool is a much better substitute because it's way to easy to get into 'cleaning her up' and remove that patina (same as burning 100$ bills in a fire) with steel wool. There are many that will argue but it's your gun and money.
I would also suggest getting some PPU 8mm heavy ball type ammo, both for the excellent brass and to experience the full power of the original type ammunition. It's akin to M2 Ball in a '03-A3 I think.
Preservation wax is a good thing too that has its place in the grand scheme of all things gun related. To each their own I say. Safe queens and foul weather hunting surely benifit from its use.
Enjoy your 'new' Mauser friend!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.