Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spend a lot of my spare time in pawn shops looking for my next project riffle, the next one is a 6mm youth riffle, about a week ago i bought a bubbafied k98. The stock and barrel were both wrapped together with camouflage duck tape. the action was smooth and mechanically sound so i bought it anyway for $75. After unwrapping the duck tape i discovered that it had a really nice piece of laminate for its original stock (sportarized of course) that someone had taken a torch to to ad stripes, and of course it was de-laminating, it also has all matching serial numbers for the action, bolt, bolt shroud, bolt stop saftey, stock, and firing pin. floor plate and rear sight to not match, The bore is simply amazing, its a bnz 43 (Steyr-Daimler-Puch A.G. Steyr) with about 50% original finish bad pitting on safety and some on the bolt shroud. Now i have a dilemma if i can find an original military type stock i might just put it back to military condition and hang on to it as an example, the problem is that boyds no longer seems to offer military style stock and most of the ones i find are in as bad or worse shape as mine.

Anyone know of a good source for reproduction stocks?

Ill put up some picks soon, I sanded off most of the stripes and rubbed some linseed oil in. I had to get it functional fast so my older brother could take it deer hunting.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,355 Posts
They show up from time to time on the various auction sites.... good luck.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help i think i found what i need on sarco, I spent about 2h hours looking at auction sites before i posted and after the tenth "you can have this beautiful war production m98 stock for the small price of $150 (opening bid)" i gave up. I would pay $150+ for a really nice stock but not for one that has no hardware and is cracked and scared beyond belief! many were resanably priced ($30-$70) but were more work than i wanted to do and did not match the style of stock that is on mine.

My grandma took some wonderful pics but i cant seem to upload them to photobucket!

Alright here are the picks I would really like to know what this barrel stamp is.
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/5618/m98bproof.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/601/m980.jpg
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/528/m98left.jpg

·
Registered
370 Posts
outsourced your question and here is the response:
Ru - Rührstahl, (on 1939 243, 337, bsw codes, 1943 bnz, seen with double circle W, XX depot barrel with Geco logo also) once suspected alternate/early Gustav Genschow Co. possibly. (Or a sub-contractor for Gustav. G) Ru/bys steel.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
outsourced your question and here is the response:
Ru - Rührstahl, (on 1939 243, 337, bsw codes, 1943 bnz, seen with double circle W, XX depot barrel with Geco logo also) once suspected alternate/early Gustav Genschow Co. possibly. (Or a sub-contractor for Gustav. G) Ru/bys steel.
Hmm I'm gonna have to do my homework and find out what kind of a reputation these barrels have. I managed to find info on action manufacture but couldn't find barrel stamping information so thanks a ton for that.

I am beginning to think that my Mauser was a Russian capture (explains the mismatched floor plate and rear sight ), however the x's that I have found are not on the front ring of the receiver and visible with the stock on as i had been told they would be. It has 5 X's. One on the firing pin between the serial number and the wba77 stamp and two sets of two X's just above and behind the recoil lug the two sets look like this > A+ XX (the > is part of the stampings)with the A and the plus connected and the plus missing the bottom spar the A+ is on the same line as the x's but has a different look to it, ill keep trying to take a pic of it but it hasn't turned out so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.