Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have just purchased a new rifle. I have purchased a Steyr Mannlicher Luxus in 7mm-08. I don't know if this rifle is popular in the states, but I have decided that a quality Euro rifle deserves a quality Euro scope - Austrian of course. (my other steyr has a leupold vx-L which I love though).

Being an Austrian gun, my choices are:

Swarovski Z6 1.7-10 x 42
or
Kahles Helia CT 3-9 x 42

I have chosen these 2 scopes also because they offer reticles on the 2nd focal plane. I don't like the idea of having a reticle on the 1st focal plane.

Has anyone had any experiences with either scope? If so can you provide me with feedback. I currently have Leupold scopes on my rifles, and I stick by them, and have total faith in them. I hope to have the same faith with one of the Euro scopes.

Also, my new rifle is supplied with a picatinny rail system. I have never used this mount system before and I would like to know what rings are best for the picatinny. I am thinking either Leupold PRW, Warne or Talley. I want the absolute best rings.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
312 Posts
That Steyr is quite an interesting rifle. I will have to study them more!
http://gunmart.net/gun_review/steyr_mannlicher_luxus/

What do you mean by the "best" mounts? Do you mean finish, ease of fit or strength? Perhaps weight?

I don't consider the Talley product to meet any of the above. Even the Talley name is just rough stamped with no polish over on the raised lettering like Beuhler did.

For strength and protecting the scopes finish the Burris Signature Zee rings are great however they are big. For looks and finish its hard to beat Conetrol.

For ease of getting them, detachablity, use and price the regular Weavers work but on a Steyr, no not up to the idea. There are Steyr mounts at $299 a pair!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Don't really know what rings you should go with, leupold should be fine. I have used both scopes and I prefer the kahles over swarovski. IMO swarovski older scopes are much better than the ones produced recently. Both are excellent I just prefer the new kahles over new swarovskis.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have warne, leupold, and buris mounts.
I will be putting warne on all my future purchases if possible.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Red85, both of your choices in optics will be great. I have both swarovski and kahles scopes. I like the swarovski just a little bit better than I like the kahles. The optics just seem a little crisper and clearer.

As far as the rings go, you might also look at the Ken Farrell rings, the badger ordanance rings, seekins precision rings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts