Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a traditional flintlock and am looking for suggestions as to keeping the powder in the pan dry under adverse conditions. I typically keep the rifle at outdoor temperature prior to loading the main charge. If expecting wet/snowy conditions I tape the muzzle but have yet to figure out a method to keep the lock/pan dry. I have tried the Saran wrap bit but found it a hassel. On stand I will cradle the gun with the lock under my armpit...gets old in a hurry.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks in advance...

Brad

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Other then a cows knee... load your primer, close your frizzen and then take a candle and scrape along the edge of the pan where the frizzen joins it. What your trying to do is put a wax seal around it. This will help keep the water and moisture out of it.

Your frizzen to pan fit might not be right though. I hunted with the Trade rifle in a snow storm and it never drew any moisture, although I changed the primer ever 30-45 minutes. When I did have to fire it went off like a sunny day.

You can also take some water proof plastic tarp, cut a chunk off some old tarp, and just lay that over the frizzen and around the trigger. Its a poor man cow knee.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cayugad..I hunt the Hayward, WI area and given the weather over the past 48 hours you can appreciate where my question comes from. Please advise...what is a "cows knee"? I assume it is some sort of lock cover but can you be more specific? Also, if you change primer do you just knock it out of the pan and replace it? I don't blow into the pan for fear of moisture freezing in the touch hole. I suppose a Q-tip might be an answer.

Brad

·
Registered
388 Posts
Cayugad..I hunt the Hayward, WI area and given the weather over the past 48 hours you can appreciate where my question comes from. Please advise...what is a "cows knee"?
Brad
I don't know what a "cow's knee" is but in addition to a herbivore's mobile trocho-ginglymus over my frizzen, I would also advise you to use 3F powder for priming instead of 4f. I don't know which you're using but I do know that 4F priming powder will attract moisture more than 3F will, but 3F will/should ignite just as easily.

·
Banned
126 Posts
A cow's knee is a fashioned peice of leather that can be placed over the lock. You can purchase one from Track of the Wolf. After receiving it, coat it with Snow Seal or beeswax and mink oil mixed to water proof it. You need to heat the leather by using a hair drier so the water proofer with soak in.

As far as putting tape over the muzzle, I do not know what you are trying to accomplish by that.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Like Flintlock62 said. A Cow's Knee is a chunk of leather shaped to fit over the lock of the rifle. You then tie the trailer to the trigger guard. When you remove it you let it hang. And it does have to be treated to water proof it. I made one out of some old tarp for when I am sitting in the blind or in a tree stand. I just fold that over the lock and tuck it around.

The tape over the muzzle or finger cots that I purchase from Wal Mart.. get the extra large.. are like a balloon. They fit over the muzzle and so when your walking in Wisconsin woods with 15 inches of snow in the trees and it falls down your neck, none of that falls into the muzzle barrel. Anyone that has hunted in big snow country knows about walking in the woods and how that snow always finds the back of your neck. You can shoot right through the tape or the finger cot.

When I clean my pan I wipe it with a piece of cotton cloth. If it is sticky, take some alcohol wipes or spritz (you can buy alcohol wipes at the dollar store for a buck) and wipe out the pan. Then reload it and apply the wax again if you want to.

·
Registered
925 Posts
A cows knee is exactly as implied, a cows knee. That part of the hide that could not be used for clothing, a scrap piece of leather. But shaped into a U shape the covered the lock on a rifle. The knee portion of the hide was actually streched a bit because of the knee and when shaped to fit on the rifle protected the lock area very well.

You can always try some wax from a toilet bowl seal ring(unused), it is very soft and will stick well to the frizzen pan joint. Also have your gunsmith fit the frizzen to the pan so it is a closer fit. Many of the old time gunmakers said they made waterproof locks(very close frizzen/pan fit).

·
Registered
417 Posts
Cayugad..I hunt the Hayward, WI area and given the weather over the past 48 hours you can appreciate where my question comes from. Please advise...what is a "cows knee"? I assume it is some sort of lock cover but can you be more specific? Also, if you change primer do you just knock it out of the pan and replace it? I don't blow into the pan for fear of moisture freezing in the touch hole. I suppose a Q-tip might be an answer.

Brad

Keeping the lock covered is the best hope.
I use a brush made from a turkey beard and piece of deer antler to wisk the pan clear between shots. Any small soft brush will do. As mentioned, a clean cloth to really clean up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts