Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions on which one of these 2 rifles is the "best?" I looked at and handled both. The Kel Tec is very lightweight with all the polymer vs. the Ruger. Kel Tec's warranty is good but they are a relatively new company compared to Ruger. Both are made in the U.S. I wonder which one is more durable over the long haul? I've shot neither so I can't comment on accuracy,etc. Some of the Kel Tec forums outline some FTF,FTE issues. I also read that the Rugers just "keep on tickin." My usage will be 50-100 yd casual target shooting and light game. I was also concerned about the polymer picanny scope rail on the Kel Tec and if can hold tightly scope rings. Rugers cost about $50-$100 more. Both have hi cap mags available. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Lots of ground to cover here. I've got about six friends with the Rugers mini-14's. None of them deliver what I'd call acceptable accuracy for that caliber rifle (223). All deliver acceptable accuracy for a home defense, shoot mansized down to coyote sized animals at a hundred yards.

You have to keep in mind that I'm a bolt action fella and am not happy with anything that doesn't hoover around an inch accuracy at a hundred yards.

All the folks I know whom do have the mini-14 are pleased with their rifles and for their uses these guns work good. Another consideration is Ruger has one of the best warrentee's on the market.

One of these Rugers is around the first issue made and has been used for the same type of casual shooting your talking about for a bunch of years now with no problems. In fact all the folks I know have had no problems with their mini-14's aside from delivering three to four inch groups

I've looked at the Kel-tek and it is an interesting rifle and a light wieght package to carry. I havn't read any reviews and other than picking up one at a gun show to look at I couldn't say.

If your looking for an auto with bolt action accuracy you might consider some of the M-16 clones. I've seen those that deliver bolt rifle accuracy, though they tend to be a bunch more expensive.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Uncle,

I can't comment on the Kel-Tech guns, but I have a fair number of years behind the Mini-14. Yes many out of the box guns will dissappoint in the accuracy department if you are looking, as Bob said, for bolt gun accuracy. However, there are a few easy, and nearly cost-free tweaks to add accuracy to your Mini-14.

Shock buffers can be purchased, or made yourself out of either an old timing belt or serpentine belt, one at the rear of the op-rod and one up-frond around the gas-port will do wonders in tightening things up, along with following the information on this BeartoothBullets.com Tip:

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tips/archive_tips.htm/1

Too, glass-bedding the action, just as you would either an M1A or M1 Garand makes a huge difference as well.

The mini's I've had all shot around 1"-2" after a little tweaking. The new stainless model I acquired early this spring shoots about 1.5" right out of the box. Homemade shock buffers and it shoots just about any good ammo into close to an inch.

Reliability? Always. Only complaints will come when using poor quality hi-cap magazines, and that's not the fault of the weapon.

Enjoy.

God bless,

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I purchased the Ruger Mini 14 Ranch(223) It has a RH,1:9" rifle twist. What weight bullet would be suggested for casual target and small game,please?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to ask:Are Ram-Line mags OK? It is see-thru plastic and they say the springs are strong. Academy has the Ram Line 30 rnd mag for $10 on sale! The Pro Mag 20s are almost $20.00.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I like 50 grains in my 223, but that is just me. If you are shooting factory fodder, take a look at the Winchester white box stuff with the 45gr, JHP. IIRC, you can shoot up to the 69gr. bullets in the 1:9 barrels

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just make sure you don't use the surplus ammo from Russia, China, Korea, etc. I have a mini-14 that is almost brand new and after putting 20 rounds of the Korean stuff through it the firing pin broke.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the advice.The serial # on this rifle indicate that it was made recently in 2006. Would this make it one of the "new and improved" models?
Better accuracy,etc?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is Monarch and Wolf Russkie ammo,comrade? It sure is cheaply priced? Someone else wrote that Academy was pulling Monarch from their shelves. I sure don't want to break a new rifle,using crummy amma!?

·
Banned
2,341 Posts
johnny-r-h said:
Just make sure you don't use the surplus ammo from Russia, China, Korea, etc. I have a mini-14 that is almost brand new and after putting 20 rounds of the Korean stuff through it the firing pin broke.

Big can "O" worms! The Mentioned countries w/ the exception of Korea that never have used the 5.56 round in Military service, there is no Korean surplus ammo on the market that I know of. There are .223 cartridges, not 5.56. If you fire 5.56 ammo in a .223 chambered rifle, you will have serious issues! JP

·
Registered
82 Posts
jpattersonnh said:
Big can "O" worms! The Mentioned countries w/ the exception of Korea that never have used the 5.56 round in Military service, there is no Korean surplus ammo on the market that I know of. There are .223 cartridges, not 5.56. If you fire 5.56 ammo in a .223 chambered rifle, you will have serious issues! JP

Sorry if I upset you Patterson. I checked the box and it was made in Russia, Not Korea. It was a company by the name of JSC Barnaul. The box said 5.56 with .223 in parentheses so I thought it would work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was searching the web and found this discussion board. I have the same question: Su-16 or Mini-14? I heard somewhere that the Su-16 was better, but then again from what else I've heard, the Mini-14's accuracy isn't that hard to beat anyway. Does anybody know anything about the SU-16's accuracy?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I own two Mini-14's, one I purchased about 1970 when they first went on the market (180 series) and the other in the 1990's (183 series). Many rounds have gone thru the first rifle and it will still give 1.5" groups. The newer rifle will give me 3" groups at best at 100 yards. I did have to replace the op rod springs after countless rounds. Wolf Springs had what I needed to fix the problem. One disadvantage to the old rifle, the new upgrades are generally not compatable with the 180 series rifle. Love the old rifle, the new one will have an accuarizing job done to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts