Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Uncle has just sold his place in Pennsylvania, and hasjust out a deposit down on a house near Cody Wyoming. It has been his life long dream to move outwest.

My wife and I have been kicking around the Idea of getting out of Georgia, and moving west. However we are not sure where to go as of yet. Colorado, Wyoming or Montana.

I am posting this here to get an idea from some of you guys that may live or have lived out that way.

My questions are :

(1) How is the hunting in the area that you have lived in.

(2) If you do not own property to hunt on, where do you hunt, and how has your success been?

(3) How is the housing market, and how if the job situation out that way?

Now this may just be a pipe dream for now, but the idea of getting out of the southeast is getting more apealing as time goes on.

Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
1.Montana has the highest population percentage that hunts, 25%, and the highest success rates of any state in the West, 58% for deer.

2. I hunt on private and public land, mostly family land, 70% of MT is privately owned, 30% is public - State, BLM, Wilderness Areas, and National Forest lands that are all open to hunting.

3. Depending on where you are interested in living, there are plenty of houses on the market up here. Where I live, nice houses are 150k and under, but there are houses from 30k to 275k, property is $200-$500 per acre on the prairie, $1000-$5000 per acre on irrigated lands. I don't know what industry you are in, that would help to determine the job market. Wages are lower in Montana than other states, its worth it though.

Good luck getting out!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would probably choose Montana first, Wyoming second, and then Colorado if given the three choices.
Although, you can't go wrong with any of your choices.
Lots of public land to hunt and fish in all three.
Of course, my choice is fairly obvious by the last 4 letters in my id.
If I ever leave NC, I'd move back to Idaho where most of my relatives still live.
Plus, I've been all over the state except for the panhandle. Knowing the terrain
is a tremendous plus when you go hunting.
Also, as long as your not from California, Idahoans will welcome you with open arms and not something else.....(just joking.... I'm not here to offend anyone..)

Well, that's my .02. Now that turkey season is over I think I've got time to read more posts on this forum. I definitely have a couple questions to ask in the rifle section.

good luck with your decision

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

I am a mechanical draftsman / Project Engineer.

It might take a little time,but thinking hard about it.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
There are tons of contruction companies, along with federal and state gov't jobs and private companies searching for project engineers. My company prefer LPEs, but any Engineering with a degree is good.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
well i visited at one time or another most western states..
idaho would be my personal pick..
now getting me to aggree to move out of north or south carolina ,,is not gonna be an easy task..carolina is just home sweet home to me..
idaho reminded me of home..slim

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would love to own some property in Montana to hunt or just get away. Not too sure about the cold months though. Just not my idea of fun.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Thanks guys,

I am a mechanical draftsman / Project Engineer.

It might take a little time,but thinking hard about it.
With your line-of-work, you might consider moving to Washington State. Most likely there would be more jobs out there, in your field, than in Montana or the other states you mentioned.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
While I was raised in most of the lower 48, (Father was in the service.) and stationed in the northern tier a lot of the time when in the service, I would also look at the Dakota's and Utah as well. It's a little cool in the winter in N. Dakota,(Grand Forks) but the people there were friendly and helpfull as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wouldn't mind leaving Michigan. The biggest problem would be finding a job for myself & my bride. I am a licensed builder. I have been licensed since 1971. I'd love a job teaching basic remodeling skills: Strip-off & re-roofing, remove & replace windows, aluminum & vinyl siding & trim & interior & exterior painting & staining. My father & grandfather before me worked with the co-op programs thru the school systems, which has been abandoned here for years! My bride is a math, algebra & trig teacher. She taught 20 yrs in Louisiana & 12 years here in Michigan. I don't know how many firms & school systems that want our experience, at our ages of 55+ !?! Our state is cutting the throats of the teachers & bleeding them dry to pay for other state workers pensions! All total a 28 pct cut due to reduced pay & increased contributions to retirement & benefits. So, any takers in the western states!?!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would suggest Texas -- I retired from the Air Force and civil service and moved out here 16 years ago. Looked hard at Colorado but couldn't afford it.

Some Texas advantages are cost of living is way lower than Colorado and no state taxes. We have year round hunting: white tail, exotic deer, turkey, lots of pigs. Our deer hunting season is much longer than any of those states and license fees are really cheap for residents. If you have to, you can reach any hunting or fishing location in Colorado in one days drive. Job opportunites are also more plentiful around the big cities.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have often thought about moving back to Texas, however that is not really what I am looking for. I lived in El Paso as a young child, and I have been to Dallas and Houston, didn't do much for me.

I want to see the mountains, I want to see the Elk, Deer and Pronghorns. Just something drawing me that direction. Getting sort of tired on the Big Big Cities, but not sure I want small town life either,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rural parts of Western Slope Colorado are still very affordable.

LOTS of game--tremendous mule deer and elk hunting.
Much better weather than WY or MT!

But I'm biased . . . .

·
Registered
205 Posts
I looked and hunted all over the West before selecting Idaho as our home.

Couldn't be happier.

L.W.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A few years ago, The Missus and I were all alone. The Daughter had married and moved to NC. The Son was an electrician and working in FL. We looked at each other and wondered where we were going to bug out. Then Daughter and family moved back here, and Son moved back, and got engaged. Looks like we are staying put! I will say however, that we were considering northern Nevada. Its high desert there. Dry and nice, not hot and dirty like Vegas and southern NV. Gun-friendly, and good people.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Colorado

Had the same urge myself, back in the middle 80's. Sitting in my neighbor's house, drinking a cup of coffee, snow outside was already 4' deep and we were in a blizzard. This was in Northern Michigan. He had lived in Colorado for a lot of years and we got to talking about it. He wanted to move back there.

Long story short, come the Spring thaw I packed up bag and baggage and drove out to Colorado Springs. Wife and I. Left the kids home with a good friend. Found good work in about a week. I was a Signwriter. Spent the next 12 years there.

It's a bit different now, here in 2010, but opportunity is where you find it and make it. In Colorado Springs you were never more than 20 minutes from good mountain hunting areas. Fully 50% of the State is public land. I got to hunt deer and elk and pheasant and quail a lot every season. Housing was cheaper then and that helped. Just a magnificient place to live and work and raise kids. Prairie hunting, Mountain hunting, all kinds of hunting.

Went elk hunting one year, up over the other side of the Great Divide. Came across a pond created by a beaver dam. Next morning when I headed out I also carried a fishing rod. Hung the rifle from a tree branch and proceeded to catch a limit of Brook Trout. I remember thinking ... "This has gotta be what Heaven is like". Ate Brook Trout a lot that season, and got a small bull elk to boot.

Yeah, my dream came true. I WAS in Heaven. My first year there, come October 13th, it snowed 3' overnight. Two days later it was all gone ... it evaporates out there. Real dry powder. I remember shoveling it out of my drive and I was in shirtsleeves. Two days later when it was all gone I dug in the soil. It was dry too. Turns out 15% humidity was real high most of the time. I LOVE the West.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I used to live in Colorado and Arizona. I really, really miss the West. This summer my wife and I took a trip to Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. Part of the motivation was to scout out these areas to see which place we could move to. We still have a lot of searching to do. I appreciate the comments that I have read in this thread and will keep those in mind when making plans to scope out areas.

I really, really want to move out and God willing I will do so in about five years when I can afford to retire from my present job.

Those vast wilderness areas and those beautiful and huge mountains are just right for me and mine.

Best regards,

Terry

·
Registered
602 Posts
There are tons of contruction companies, along with federal and state gov't jobs and private companies searching for project engineers. My company prefer LPEs, but any Engineering with a degree is good.
Except chemical engineering...I had to quit and go to medical school to be able to get back to Montana. Wyoming is probably a better place to find work right now. My brother who is a civil engr lives in Casper.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
They are building a BioDiesel plant up here for the railroad, ChE's were right on the hiring list.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts