Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
9,796 Posts
Have no argument with what I read...agree with it. The big advantage of more velocity is having the bullet arrive at a distance with the same velocity that smaller cases get at standard ranges. If you don't shoot real far, then there isn't a buring reason to toss the bullets out at those +3K speeds.

Given a choice between +3K velocity and more bullet weight...I'll take the weight.

· Registered
9,796 Posts
Think some of it is easy: more shooters, fewer hunters.

While I agree that the overall "pie" is smaller in size, seems that the value of the pie has increased...shooters don't sneeze at spending some serious money, and most of them have several rifles. Instead of trying to sell 100 people one rifle, seems more aimed at selling 10 people 10 rifles each.

With that philosophy, then the specialty rifle (and cartridge) become profitiable.
------------
Well known: "Can only sell someone what they want, not what they actually need". Create a "want" and you'll make money...doesn't have to be a reasonable "want" (remember "pet rocks"?).

· Registered
9,796 Posts
Nitro: We live in the same city.

Have a friend use to hunt with (he's too old to hunt now, but not too old to shoot). He taught me to cast, and we both used cast bullets on deer.

Now this old guy believed (and still does) in using a 210gr. 30cal. cast bullet at 2300fps. It would usually shatter the front 1/2, sending framgnets into the body, and have the shank penetrate/tumble on through. Odd choice for an old guy, but that'show he used cast bullets for 50 years.

I used (and still do) a big heavy bullet (.379" , 460", or .515") at 1200-1600fps out of a softer alloy that MAY expand a bit without fragmenting, usually exits.

He killed deer,,,,I killed deer...but there as a differnce in effect. While I never lost a deer, mine did tend to run a bit after being hit huless big bones were broken (and with this load, I do aim to HIT / shatter the shoulder and prefer to hit the off side as well). He got more "fall down in a shower of sparks" kills where the deer basically fell into it's own shadow, but he also had to shoot more deer a second time.

That last isn't fair, as I was using a single shot, and there were times my deer would have gotten a second shot if I had one on immediate tap....but I still only got the drop-in-tracks effect when I shattered both shoulders or the spine...he got the effect from hitting just BEHIND the shoulders, missing the big bones.

· Registered
9,796 Posts
Now there is an old theory..."transmission dwell". British seemed fond of it, the idea that the time spent applying force was somehow important....is an off shoot of the momentum theory. The general idea being that a 10 foot pound force applied slowly on a bank vault door with your hip will move it...the same 10 foot pounds applied by a swinging fist just breaks your hand without moving the door.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.