Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking at the E. Aurthur Brown web site I saw this article on their "Bench Rest Magnum" cartridges. This is probably an unfortunate name as they are not magnums. But the cartridges are interesting and the thoughts on killing power are very interesting (because I agree with them?).

http://www.eabco.com/Reports/report03.html

(I'm not a computer guy, I actualy attached a link!)
The gist is that they think, and so do I, that there is magic in the 2400 to 2500 feet per second range. Actually I think it is from 2300 to 2500 fps but I wont argue over 100 fps.
Take a look and tell me what you think.

· Registered
6,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I think so. the British used the .400-350(?) which was in the Whelen range and the Germans had a 9.5mm that was right in there with them.
For the U.S. and deer type shooting it explains the reputation and the actual killing power of the .300 Savage, .30-40 Krag, .303 British type cartridges.
I know that with the .307 Win. pushing a .30-30 type 170 grain bullet at 2300 fps+, the killing power seems out of proportion to the velocity/bullet weight/rifle size.
The same can be said for the .356 with any of the 200 grain round nose bullets. or the 200 grain cast bullets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.