Shooters Forum banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

· Banned
160 Posts
ribbonstone said:
Now there is an old theory..."transmission dwell". British seemed fond of it, the idea that the time spent applying force was somehow important....is an off shoot of the momentum theory. The general idea being that a 10 foot pound force applied slowly on a bank vault door with your hip will move it...the same 10 foot pounds applied by a swinging fist just breaks your hand without moving the door.
Energy is the product of force over time. A force, even at the same pressue, that lasts 1/100 of a second is not producing the same "enery" as an equal force that last 10 seconds. The latter is producing 10,00 times as much energy.

· Banned
3,929 Posts
WAGNER95696 said:
Energy is the product of force over time. A force, even at the same pressue, that lasts 1/100 of a second is not producing the same "enery" as an equal force that last 10 seconds. The latter is producing 10,00 times as much energy.
I guess I missed that course in my younger days! However I wont Dwell on a force or Transmission, even if it doesn't lock up behind a big block Chevy or Ford.

I know that their is something to "metplate" in big bore rifles.
I also know that more than 90% of the experienced hunters who go out after big game (other than deer) are capable of hitting the target zone on an animal, thus "Shot Placement".

However that same 90% of hunters with experience, either lack the knowledge or for a better word are to cheap to purchase a good enough bullet for the job the shot on animal needs, as in staying together for starters and in order for penetration to the vitals to take place.

Not that many animals are lost in the wild coming hunting season! Those that are, elk for instance are usually lost from poor bullet placement or bullet failure. NOT PENETRATING to the vitals. Sometimes it is with some unexperienced hunters a case of both!

I am buy no way a mathematician or science guru in the laboratory. However I do know what has and hasn't worked for myself and many other over the years hunting big game animals. I have learned not to give a great deal of thought on what some gun writer may or may not put in a written article. NOT without trying it out before hand or a hunting trip mind you.

In the early years we did shoot a lot of homemade cast (poorly according to todays standards) bullets for target practice back in the 50's. Things were not cheap, even store bought bullets for us mind you. Lead was easy pickens from window weights and it served a two fold purpose of fishing weights as well as for our rifle practice.

It wasn't until I got my hands on some Beartooth Bullets over a couple of years ago, that I turned my levers action rifles into real target shooters. My previous 444Marlin was around 3.5 inches from the bench and my 45/70 was closer to 4 inches give or take on a given day. My Triple 4 is now under 2 inches and has shot around 1.5. My 45/70 is now at 2 give or take and that is thanks to those superb bullets. Thanks Marshall, I'll be needing to put in an order soon.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.