Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some info on Kimber's longmaster in 308 and a scope to match it. I mainly punch paper and steel plate out to 300 yards. I spent this past weekend shooting a few bolt action rifles in .223 and 308, they we're pretty basic rifles, but it really gave me the needed bump to make a new purchase.

I own an Aero Precision AR15 w/16"wilde barrel and a trijicon ACOG 3.5x35 with the Green Horseshoe scope and really enjoy it for long range, but now I want a bolt action in .308. Just so you know, I'm a Kimber fan and carry their 1911 TLE/RL II in 45apc. I never worry about the weight, and enjoy the fit and feel. Which brings me to my point - I don't see a lot of Kimber Rifle owners on the forum, which is also a good thing, b/c we use forums for issues more than success stories. ;)

So, if anyone has some firsthand knowledge on this Longmaster in .308 and decent glass, I am open for abuse and feedback. I'd be purchasing new for both, and following the rule on scopes, but ideally want to stay under $1200 on the scope.

Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Meh! I made the purchase for both the Longmaster and a Leupold VX-6 3-18X44MM w/TMAO. I'm looking forward to getting to know this one very well!

Thanks for looking!

Joe

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Welcome Joeyo,

We have 3 Kimber 84M in the family, none 308.

260, 338 fed, 325WSM, never have a problem. All shoot sub MOA and all wear Leupold scopes, The 260 gets shot the most, This a light weight model (beautiful). With about 2500 rounds thru it, It groups right around 3" at 300 yards for 10 shoots from a bench. It shoots better than my 70+ year old eyes will let me shoot.

I have other rifles in 308, but no kimber in that cartridge.

Actually, I can't think of hearing any Kimber complaints from others.

·
Registered
13,209 Posts
That looks like a beautiful rifle, but I would guess the reason you don't hear a lot about them is the price tag keeps most folks from buying them. I'm not saying they aren't a good value, because it looks like the kind of gun that is well worth the price, but a lot of people today just can't spend $1,000 or more on a rifle.

Welcome to Shooters Forum and congratulations on your new gun! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both HarrySS & broom_jm! I really appreciate your responses! Its a leap for me cost wise, but I really wanted this one. I guess this past weekends farm shoot cost me more than I realized!

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Best of luck with your new rifle! And a very nice rifle it is. I have owned a M84 in .308 and never had issues with it, but ended up preferring a M70 Featherweight Classic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just ordered 500 rounds of Federal Gold Medal Match 168 Gr. BTHP to get it dialed in. Next weekend will be a good weekend! What is the recommended break in prior to shooting - full breakdown for a CLP scrub?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,303 Posts
Shoot.
Clean.
Repeat.

Don't get caught up in the 'break-in' voo-doo, unless you just want to.

·
Registered
13,209 Posts
Just ordered 500 rounds of Federal Gold Medal Match 168 Gr. BTHP to get it dialed in. Next weekend will be a good weekend! What is the recommended break in prior to shooting - full breakdown for a CLP scrub?
I thought you LIKED this rifle?? :p

Friends don't let their friends shoot factory ammo. Reloading FTW!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts