Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved the .50 cal as an early christmas present from my father, the ultimate christmas present~ I have a 30/30 and a 243, but the muzzleloader... completely new to me. It seems complicated like a woman, is that a fair anology? I My father set me up with .50 cal
250gr. Thompson/Center Shockwave Sabots, and a box of winchester w209 primers. The powder he had me use when I shot it for the first time was pyrodex pellets "50/50". I remember him saying "we're just using 1 pellet now for target shooting, but in the field you may want 2". 2 pellets "I'm calling them blocks for now" equal 100gr, which on the pyrodex website is recomended for big game.

My question to the muzzleloading users here, what is the best powder I should use for my Knight? I want the powder that will deliver the greatest overall performance. I've looked at data sheets and gone to Knights website, I'd simply feel more confident getting feedback from people.

I'm a northern Wisconsin deer hunter.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Some folks are having good success with the new Blackhorn 209 powder. I haven't used it yet, but I have to say I'm a big fan of 777. It's energetic (most powerful of the substitutes, with the possible exception of bh209), cleans up easily, less corrosive than real black powder or Pyrodex, and shoots very accurately in my guns. I use the loose powder, but many like the pellets.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I prefer Pyrodex RS, in my front stuffers. Using loose powder,such as Pyrodex RS, Triple 7,you'll be able to shoot more,at less expense. The choice is up to you,have fun,and always be safe.

·
Banned
502 Posts
I have two muzzle loaders, one is a traditional, my T/C 50 cal, and I have a CVA inline. I use powder in the T/C and pellets in the inline.

In the muzzle loader, I use RBs and Maxi balls with a great deal of success. In the inline I use Sabots with my own cast bullets.

Either way I do well.

Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts