Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI GUYS,

SOME WEEKS AGO I SAID I WAS TRYING TO GET 30-30 ENERGIES FROM MY .454 BY USING KNIGHT SABBOTED, .40 CAL, 180 GR., LEAD, PSP BULLETS.

I HAS ASKED FOR THOUGHTS AND RECEIVED SOME.

HOWEVER, A NEW FRIEND, WHO HAS WORKED FOR THE BORDER PATROL FOR MANY YEARS GAVE ME THE BEST EXPLANATION, WHICH I PASS ALONG TO YOU GUYS WHO HAVE HAS THE SAME IDEA AS ME:

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
KNIGHT SABBOTED BULLETS IN .454 CASULL

CONTINUED FROM EARLIER THREAD. I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED, BUT HERE IS "THE REST OF THE STORY".

1. IN ORDER TO INCREASE VELOSITY, THE PRESSURE MUST INCREASE.
2. IF YOU REDUCE BULLET FRICTION, WHICH THE SABOT WOULD DO, YOU ALSO REDUCE THE PRESSURE.
3. THUS WHEN YOU REDUCE THE PRESSURE YOU GET NO INCREASED VELOSITY-------WEIGHT-FOR--WEIGHT.

A SMALL INCREASE IN VELOSITY COULD OCCUR WHEN GOING FROM A 260 GRAIN BULLET DOWN TO A 193 GRAIN COMBINED WEIGHT OF BULLET AND SABOT. WHEN THE LOAD FOR THE 260 IS LOADED BEHIND THE 193.

SO FAR, I GET BETTER GROUPS WITH THE SABOT LOAD. MY NEXT STEP IS TO INCREASE THE VELOSITY FROM WHAT I LAST USED AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS TO GROUP SIZE.

WILL KEEP YOU POSTED.

:) CHUCK

·
Registered
827 Posts
The velocity/pressure relationship sounds logical. I think the true advantage of what you are doing is using a light bullet that will still penetrate, unlike a .45 cal 190 grain bullet.
andy

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HI ANDY,

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. THE KNIGHT SABOTTED BULLET CAN BE DRIVEN UP TO 2500 FPS. THE TRICK IS TO KNOW WHICH POWDER WILL DO THAT. I NEED ONLY 2200 TO 2250 FPS TO EQUAL THE 30-30 WIN CARTRIDGE. THE SABOTS TAKE UP A LOT OF ROOM IN THE CASE LEAVING LESS ROOM FOR POWDER, AND NO DATA IS AVAILABLE ANYWHERE. ANDY, I WAS ALSO TRYING HARD TO DISPENSE WITH THE TERRIBLE ( TO ME ) RECOIL OF STANDARD .454 LOADS WITHOUT LOOSING A LOT OF ENERGY IN THE PROCESS. THANKS FOR WRITING FROM ALABAMA. I USED TO WORK IN DOTHAN IN 1986, FOR THE TELEPHONE COMPANY, AND I ENJOYED THE PEOPLE IN THAT STATE VERY MUCH. GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS YOU.

:) CHUCK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts