Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Me and my mom were thinking about getting my dad a nice hunting knife for Christmas. He had talked about getting one of the cutco hunting knives but I know that he has also said about getting one of those knives that are made from files. So does anyone know where I can get one of those knives that are made from files or some information on them.

Thanks for the help.

BTW, knife will probably be used for skinning and cutting up our meat, not really for gutting.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can make knives from anything if they're treated right. I know a few guys who make them and I've seen everything from broken knife blades to circular saw blades.

If they're some niche knife then I haven't ever heard of them and disregard the above.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not sure where to find them but I have a couple busted up and wornout files. I may try this and see how it works. Thanks for the idea. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think Cutco makes their knives out of 420 stainless steel. Nothing special, really. I own a Cutco knife and have used several others. They are well constructed but the blades are very ordinary.

A custom made knife with a blade using steel from an old file could make a really good knive if it is heat treated well. If it is heat treated by some hack with his own three hands, you never know what you might get. Could be too soft, to hard, too brittle. But the potential is there to have a knife far superior to anything made by Cutco.

I don't know what you have in mind for a budget but for a great quality, semi-custom knife I might suggest a knife from Bark River Knife & Tool. They use A2 tool steel and are quite beautiful knives. Cost will probably be in the range of $100 - $150.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Thanks, scott. I was about to get up and see who made my "file" knife. Anza it is. I don't know if they are still in business, but those were tough blades.

·
Banned
605 Posts
I'd venture a guess here and just type in your search engine "Knives made from files". Should show you a bunch.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Didn't know knives made from files were commercially available. Over 50 years ago they were a popular project in my high school shop class, but now they would probably get the student expelled for having a weapon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, I have made a few knives out of worn out files, and have been really pleased with them. The one main problem you will have, is these must be maintained, as they will rust so quickly, befor your eyes sometimes. However on the plus side, they will take on a coluration of there own, and if made correctly will stay razor sharp, during use. They must first be softend, to allow the file to be cut and worked, then once the soft knife is about complete, it needs to be rehardend, cleaned up and the tempered. there are some artists out there making these knives, I say artists as some of them are actualy works of art in my eyes.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help guys. Anza knives are exactly what I was looking for. I will most likely get one of these if we get one. Are there any other companies like Anza out there? I would say that the price range is around $100 give or take.

Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I get knife supplies from

Texas knife Distributors. Excellent service and selection. Who knows, could be your next hobby:p

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
A couple of questions.
Why aren't files made out of stainless steel?
Why have hilts, or what ever it is called, that part between the handle and the blade, gone out of style?

Jim

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
before you jump off the deep end with Anza, take a hard look at Bark River Knives. they are a hair more expensive, but do not rust. the Anza knives will rust easily. The Barkies sharpen like high carbon steel, but have the rust-resistant properties of stainless.... they hold an edge like nothing else I have ever used, and are, In My Opinion the very best knife that is assembly line produced

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just threw out a business card from a really nice guy that makes custom knives out of WI a couple weeks ago in my move. I ran into him at a gun show in the cities and I talked to him for a half hour about making knives. He had some super nice knives.

He also helped me out with choosing how to make my own knife. He made knives out of every kind of steel available, but said that leaf springs out of cars made exceptional blades. I ended up making a rail road spike knife that turned out really great. He also told me how to heat treat a knife properly too.

anyways long story short for as nice of a guy as he was I have nothing but good things to say about him, but for the life of me can't remember his name and couldn't find with a quick web search.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'll never understand why guys are so panicked over a little rust. For hundreds of years fine cutlery of all types was subject to rust if a slob put the blade away without a simple cleaning and lubericating it.
If a knife is worn and used daily the problem is mute. When the blade is used only seasonaly it should be cleaned, oiled and NOT stored in the sheath. If it MUST be stored in a sheath simply wrap the blade, AFTER Prepping, in waxed or oiled paper before inserting.
It's SOOOO simple.
Pepe Ray

·
Registered
45 Posts
A couple of questions.
Why aren't files made out of stainless steel?
Why have hilts, or what ever it is called, that part between the handle and the blade, gone out of style?

Jim
Stainless steel is softer than the high carbon steel of a file.

I am pretty sure that hilts have gone away for apperance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts