• Yes

Votes: 39 67.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 32.8%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Although there is some connection to knives needed to field dress game that's about the only connection. I don't believe its a topic interested in by the average shooter. My neighbor collects knives but has no interest in shooting. I collect firearms and have no interest in knives.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I love both and have more money than i am willing to admit invested in knives. I also know people who are only interested in one or the other (knives/Fireams) but a quality blade is the single most important tool to have in the field as it never runs out of ammo and it has far more uses than a firearm. I however would never be without either whether in the city or in the field.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Decisions decisions

Yeah, I agree with that. I love knives AND firearms. I've made several knives to go with the rifles I've built. I even made my Brother a fitted hardcase for the 10/22 I made for him and even made a knife for smallgame that goes in it's own slot in the guncase.

I'm not real technical as far as blades go though. Generally, all I had access to was some 01 and some D2 toolsteel. They all ended up looking good though. Sharp too. Just this past weekend I was "deadheading" some flowers with my pocketknife and nearly sliced my finger off. Haven't done THAT in 40 years.

So yeah, I'd love to see a knife section. Guns and knives just seem to go together.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,190 Posts
Yeah, a knife page would be ok. I've made a few and they go good with a firearm.

Sinbad, I here ya on slicing the finger open. I've got one that "bites" every now and again as it snaps shut with authority.

RJ

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
If I knew of a forum dedicated to hunting that had the level of quality of this forum, then that's where I would want to see a section on knives. However, since I know of no such forum, knife discussions here would suit me just fine. I was interested in knives before I was interested in guns, and my interest in hunting came after both of those. I don't think it is completely true to say that the only connection between knives and shooting is the hunting aspect, but they are certainly different enough topics that I wouldn't expect a knife section here.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm a sucker for a good knife and a good gun. If we do get a knives section I'll surely put in my two cents worth.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
I have been carrying a pocket knife since I was eight years old when my dad gave me a Barlow for my birthday. I have had all kinds of knives over the years but now have settled on a Kershaw Leek with serrated blade.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would love to see a knife section here because the quality of discussion here is so much higher than just about every other hunting/shooting forum I visit. Having said that and voted yes, I do not believe it will happen. knifes are not directly connected with guns, they are a small part of a small part of a sub set of shooting and therefore not necessarily a proper subject for its own section here.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I voted Yes as well, I'm all for more discussion as you guys are typically more mature than every other forum I've been around. There are only so many times we can hash about the .270 v .30-06.

I haven't made any knives yet, but I collect Kershaw detailed knives (the Trout knives) and all Marble's knives (just got an Expert II).

·
Registered
816 Posts
I like you guys and think you are all great, but I am here to talk and learn about firearms and hunting.

Maybe try this one out: http://www.knifeforums.com/
I agree. I really like this forum and the guys that post here. I carry a knife every single day and have since I was a kid but I don't necessarily think we need a section for it here. Then next week someone would want a section for bows with subsections for compounds, recurves, and crossbows. Of course, I don't pay the bills around here so if the powers that be think it's a good idea then so be it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
knifes are not directly connected with guns,
Knives have always been directly connected to guns. Swords, daggers, bows and crossbows were all weapons of warfare. The firearm was used after it's invent as a "hand cannon" as a weapon of warfare right along side the knife... After the propulsion of the stones it's bore contained, it was thrown to the ground and the blade was drawn. How many soldiers would be willing to go into battle today with only his firearm? There is a direct connection as the hunter needs it to finish the job the firearm started and the soldier needs it for many more reasons.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I did think of a reason not to have a knife section. Search engines! I have met a few anti gun folk over the years that happened to be cutlery collectors. We sure wouldn't want those folks mouthing off on this friendly forum.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Knives have always been directly connected to guns. Swords, daggers, bows and crossbows were all weapons of warfare. The firearm was used after it's invent as a "hand cannon" as a weapon of warfare right along side the knife... After the propulsion of the stones it's bore contained, it was thrown to the ground and the blade was drawn. How many soldiers would be willing to go into battle today with only his firearm? There is a direct connection as the hunter needs it to finish the job the firearm started and the soldier needs it for many more reasons.
Interesting point, But consider, the average prairie dog hunter doesn't use a knife at all when he is shooting, the kid at the range plinking with his marlin model 60 wont be using his knife for that activity beyond un-jaming the gun, bench rest shooters don't use a knife for their chosen activity, trap and skeet shooters don't use them either, So while knifes are standard and mandatory equipment for two fields of shooting (combat and game hunting) there are far more activities with guns that don't use or need knifes.

Don't get me wrong I LIKE the idea, I collect tri-blade folders. I just don't see it as a logical addition.

I think the best we could hope for was a field under hunting stories about field dressing and the associated knifes.

I also wouldn't much like it if the knife section provided a search engine hit for a certain crowd that was into the whole none functioning "totaly cool" looking knifes. Imagine that crowd infiltrating our wonderfully moderated, friendly and informative forums

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I'm naked without my Leatherman, and its not a pretty sight.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I think guns and knives are more closely related in the Psyche that we fully understand. And I would be for the addition to the forum, especially as it relates to knife making.

there are also those occasions where a knife is also a gun

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
I voted yes, but I leave it up to the moderators, and in the end Marshal, to make the call. There have been a lot of people wanting this-and-that forum added and I would rather be out a forum or two that I like, than be overly crowded.

I would like a knife section, but I'd rather this site stay the quality forum that it is than be nit-picked and micro-managed to death.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts