Shooters Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I don't believe there are any factory long range rifle's. But if the factory want's to sell a rifle to someone that views himself as a long range shooter, they clip on a name suggesting it's a long range rifle! I believe that the best long range shooter's, if they were to get a factory rifle, might get one called a long range model but bet they modify the thing to their own likes! Once you get into the world of long range shooting, it becomes more about the shooter than the rifle or cartridge. If you were to buy something like a mod 110 Savage long range hunter, what you actually bought was a Savage mod 110! I don't have anything called a long range rifle but my 6.5x06 takes a good stab at it. It's a mod 700 in a factory stock with a match grade Shilen barrel and completely re-bedded in steel epoxy! It only shoot's handloads also and for fooling at long range, SMK's! The problem it would have with long range shooting is the operator!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Not a real Savage fan but they're Lapua has done pretty well. I have a brother who puts together 338 Edge. Watching some of his long range shooting ( out to 1900 yards) it's scary accurate with 300 grain accubond LR and Bergers. Pretty spendy rifles though. He builds them right though.
I would say the scary part of the shooting with your brother is your brother. No rifle shoot's better than the person shooting it!

·
Premium Member
15,911 Posts
The .338 Win Mag was designed and built as a thumper big game rifle in a short action ('06 length). Nobody considered any .338 bullet as a 'match bullet's because they weren't used for long range until Jerry Haskins, with others built the first .338-378 KTH, but they were long range elk rifles, not target rifles.

IT takes more case capacity than the Win Mag can muster to chunk those long, heavy bullets, too. The .338 is about perfect for the big bears and moose and nobody needed a magnum Mauser action to have one.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
The Edge is a .300 RUM necked up to .338. For some reason, Remington shortened the case on the .338 RUM. Yet the 7mm, .300, and .375 all have the same case.

I know you could build a rifle. I was asking about a factory built rifle. Heavy barrel .338 Win Mag.
I was plugging away with my 8mm x 375 Ruger wildcat, along side my left hand Remmie 338 Ultra, over the bench, and I had a bad time hanging onto its forearm wood. Of course I was burning through a stash of Speer 275 gr. Semi spitzers, against 200 gr. Speer Mag Tips in my Americanized 8mm Schuler. To answer your question, the Rem Big Eight will be hard to beat for your Pard. For nostalgia, I can reload my 416 wildcatted 375 Ruger ( my 8mm, opened up ) with Lyman 416 Rigby dies. The FL Die is shortened 3/10th’s an inch. The seat- crimp die works straight out of the orange box.
Belatedly, I discovered that I can reform 375 Ruger brass in one pass, and only kiss my case mouths in the trimmer to make my wildcat cases. I miss the nostalgia, just a bit, doing this.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I was plugging away with my 8mm x 375 Ruger wildcat, along side my left hand Remmie 338 Ultra, over the bench, and I had a bad time hanging onto its forearm wood. Of course I was burning through a stash of Speer 275 gr. Semi spitzers, against 200 gr. Speer Mag Tips in my Americanized 8mm Schuler. To answer your question, the Rem Big Eight will be hard to beat for your Pard. For nostalgia, I can reload my 416 wildcatted 375 Ruger ( my 8mm, opened up ) with Lyman 416 Rigby dies. The FL Die is shortened 3/10th’s an inch. The seat- crimp die works straight out of the orange box.
Belatedly, I discovered that I can reform 375 Ruger brass in one pass, and only kiss my case mouths in the trimmer to make my wildcat cases. I miss the nostalgia, just a bit, doing this.
Funny thing. I read many years ago that the beauty of a magnum cartridge was it delivered extraordinary power at normal range, not normal power at extraordinary range. That always sounded like good thinking to me!

·
Registered
182 Posts
"Know of any "long Range" .338 Win Mag rifles?"
ALL of them? Except perhaps, for the somewhat egregious .338 Win Browning Auto Rifle, I don't know of any .338 Win Mag bolt guns that cannot "out shoot" their owners (unless badly altered in some way), to well beyond game-hunting ranges. Even if the rifle is a 2 MOA shooter, a .338 Win. Mag. that groups into an 8" circle at 400 yards is a fearsome weapon.
The weak link in all of this will be the shooter's ability to master and (literally as well as figuratively) rebound from the rifle's considerable recoil. A long and heavy barrel helps, but if a slingable .338 cannot be managed by the shooter, they will shoot only marginally better with a heavier, more cumbersome (but still "carryable") rifle.
I'll never have the finances nor the need for one, but were I entertaining the purchase of such a rifle, I'd look seriously at a long barreled, heavy Steyr, Mauser, or Blazer bolt action in 8x68 Schuler. It is ballistically close to the 8mm Rem. mag & .338 Win. mag, but tolerates reduced loads far better without sacrificing accuracy (think "practicing marksmanship"), and the brass doesn't come with that silly magnum belt that makes those calibers such a "joy" to reload.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts