Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this old Krag. Front sight was gone, forearm sight hole plugged,rear sight missing, single fire selector gone, stock chopped butt plate added. Price was right and it had a good bore. I bought a replacement magazine cover plate off of Ebay and machined a scope mount bracket on my mill. I flame blued the new mount and tig welded it to the replacement magazine cover. I sleeved over the ugly groove at the muzzle to cover where the front sight was supposed to be. I had and old Weaver 4x scope and rings to put on it. This is my new 250.00 Michigan deer rifle.
JulyKrag Slideshow by sanfordandsonsinc | Photobucket

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Looks like a great old warrior.
Wondering how rigid the magazine cover plate is? But I love the sweeping lines of that custom side mount.

Get some 170 grain flatnose 30 cals and the deer will just fall over.

thanks for the post of an interesting gun.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Wondering how rigid the magazine cover plate is? But I love the sweeping lines of that custom side mount.
Nicely done.

I also was wondering if the magazine cover would make a attachment point.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts

The sleeve over the front sight area looks very good, too - I hope you enjoy that old smoothie !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Very well done indeed. As far as the side plate being an anchor point for a scope on the Krag, I once saw a sideplate on ebay that had been machined to be the anchor point for the Warner Swasey scope, which I'm sure was much heavier than what Sanford has mounted. Since the Warner Swasey didn't come out until after the Krag was only being used by National Guard troops, I'll assume it was meant to be a sniper rifle for them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You know that you are one of those guys that really piss me off. I have zero artistic talent and you take an old standard and make it look great. Great piece of work (although I still don't like you, LOL).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looks to me like you have it high enough and angled right that it will eject ok without the case bouncing off the scope. That's a problem I ran into trying to mount a scope low with a Miller Kodiak Mount. It has some inserts that raise the scope about another 1/4" which helps some.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I were to make another mount like this I would drill or mill holes or lightening slots in the mount to reduce the weight even more. Also I would drill holes in the side plate and puddle weld the mount on to the cover plate from the inside. I then could simply metal finish the inside flush it back to the correct geometry. If I welded it like this the welds would not be visible. I like the idea that if you have a mount like this you can use a scope on your Krag without altering the gun if you make the modifications on a spare cover plate. The question about mounting the mount on the cover plate was a concern of mine until I removed the cover plate. The fit of the cover plate to the gun was excellent with no play whatsoever. Even the spare one I purchase to modify fit just as well. I look forward to taking this gun out in the fall.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I inherited my Dad's 30 40 Krag when he passed away. You have done a wonderful job of restoring it and I'm sure you'll be happy with it for years. I only have a peep sight on Dad's and it's hard to get a good group out at 100 yards but I hope to take a bear at our cabin with it someday.

·
Registered
19 Posts
question what is the clearence hight of the mount to the top of bolt and do would that also work on the 6.5x55mm norwegian krag as i have one and there is a slight difference on the side plate. the mag cut off holds the side plate on the nord krag and dose not have a screw as the 30-40 krag dose. and i was thinking of doing that but thinking of having the top of mount further apart in order to have a longer scope base on it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts