Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have worked up several loads in the 300 WSM in the new Savage (purchased retail for $389)with 24 inch bbl. I tend to scoff at, and treat with a grain of salt, all of the hoopla associated with new and better cartridges, but in this case, I was stunned at the performance. All work used Rem 9.5 primers and a Chrony Master F-1 at 15 feet.

At the light end, Hornady 110 SPs topped out at 3849 fps with 77 grs of Win 760. Cut back to 75 grs and 3777 fps for varmint accuracy. COL was 2.73.

At the heavy end, Hornady 220 gr RNs went 2744 fps with 65 grs of R22. COL was 2.85.

In the middle, Nosler 180 BTs went 3141 fps with 68 grs of R19. COL was 2.80.

So, the 300 WSM is a full blown 300 Win Mag using 5 to 15% less powder at max velocities. Recoil reduction is real and valuable, and a 24 inch bbl is all you need.

The 220 gr velocities were the most surprising, because of the deep seating required for the short cartridge. Please reduce these loads by 6% and work up carefully.

The Winchester and Savage magazines will accept 3.1 inches for COL, but the throats are set up for 2.8 COL, so take care and don't be aggressive about seating out to magazine length in factory rifles. The current set up is good for the large range of bullet weights offered in .308 caliber.

The case is quite insensitive to load density, and you can load down to .308 Win or 30-06 with good accuracy. Yup, many of the 30-06 duplication loads use less powder than the 30-06 and kick LESS.AA's XMP 5744 achieved match .308 velocities with a 12 fps std deviation for 10 shots...go figure.

The Savage is light and handy, and feeding is flawless. Web site retail is in the mid $400s, but you can get my $389 price from most dealers. Pay a bit more for stainless synthetic, and you have the first mountain gun that qualifies as a mountain cannon that won't make you flinch after 2 boxes at the bench. American technology...we really are the best...

There is talk around about some excellent (not believable)300 WSM groups shot at 1000 yards with 220 gr match fodder, but I have dismissed it to date as the new fangled hoopla. Now I am thinking that these stories have some basis in fact.

Anyone heard these accuracy rumors?

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
I haven't heard about the long range accuracy claims but I have had a chance to shoot both a 300 and 270 WSM. I really liked them! I'm not much of a magnum guy and usually I'm content with my 308 or 30-06. But I do like the fit of short action rifles and these cartridges give plenty of zip in that platform.
I remember thinking years ago, "Boy, if this .308 case was just a bit fatter I bet it could REALLY equal the 30-06." As it turns out you can make it fat enough to do even better!
By the way the 300 WSM I shot was a Browning and the 270 WSM was a Winchester. We chronographed both rifles (That's how I got to shoot them - I own the chronograph!) and factory as well as handloads lived up to the velocity claims. IDShooter

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IDshooter -

I hear you on the Magnum stuff. When I do Mag work, I am almost always thinking internal ballistics or long range accuracy punching paper. Hunting is no experiment or contest to me, so I agree with you,.308 Win. or 30-06 are plenty for 95% of situations and the others can be avoided by being patient.

As a handloader, I plan to load the 300 WSM to 30-06 velocities and enjoy the short action.

·
Banned
556 Posts
phew, Loader! I'm glad you added that...

(Except you might add to, "enjoy the short action" with "and the longer barrel" :p)

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Charley Z -

Excellent point. I used to be a short barrel freak, but chronographs have cured me of that affliction. For me weight is the issue, traded off against recoil. I have developed a simple formula for "required barrel length", if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
loader said:
I have worked up several loads in the 300 WSM in the new Savage (purchased retail for $389)with 24 inch bbl. I tend to scoff at, and treat with a grain of salt, all of the hoopla associated with new and better cartridges, but in this case, I was stunned at the performance. All work used Rem 9.5 primers and a Chrony Master F-1 at 15 feet.

At the light end, Hornady 110 SPs topped out at 3849 fps with 77 grs of Win 760. Cut back to 75 grs and 3777 fps for varmint accuracy. COL was 2.73.

At the heavy end, Hornady 220 gr RNs went 2744 fps with 65 grs of R22. COL was 2.85.

In the middle, Nosler 180 BTs went 3141 fps with 68 grs of R19. COL was 2.80.

So, the 300 WSM is a full blown 300 Win Mag using 5 to 15% less powder at max velocities. Recoil reduction is real and valuable, and a 24 inch bbl is all you need.

The 220 gr velocities were the most surprising, because of the deep seating required for the short cartridge. Please reduce these loads by 6% and work up carefully.

The Winchester and Savage magazines will accept 3.1 inches for COL, but the throats are set up for 2.8 COL, so take care and don't be aggressive about seating out to magazine length in factory rifles. The current set up is good for the large range of bullet weights offered in .308 caliber.

The case is quite insensitive to load density, and you can load down to .308 Win or 30-06 with good accuracy. Yup, many of the 30-06 duplication loads use less powder than the 30-06 and kick LESS.AA's XMP 5744 achieved match .308 velocities with a 12 fps std deviation for 10 shots...go figure.

The Savage is light and handy, and feeding is flawless. Web site retail is in the mid $400s, but you can get my $389 price from most dealers. Pay a bit more for stainless synthetic, and you have the first mountain gun that qualifies as a mountain cannon that won't make you flinch after 2 boxes at the bench. American technology...we really are the best...

There is talk around about some excellent (not believable)300 WSM groups shot at 1000 yards with 220 gr match fodder, but I have dismissed it to date as the new fangled hoopla. Now I am thinking that these stories have some basis in fact.

Anyone heard these accuracy rumors?
don't know about the 220's, but i shot a 1.17" group at 300yds today using some loads that superior ammunition worked up for me. 165 Barnes TSX @ 2985 FPS

·
Registered
404 Posts
300wsm

IDShooter said:
I haven't heard about the long range accuracy claims but I have had a chance to shoot both a 300 and 270 WSM. I really liked them! I'm not much of a magnum guy and usually I'm content with my 308 or 30-06. But I do like the fit of short action rifles and these cartridges give plenty of zip in that platform.
I remember thinking years ago, "Boy, if this .308 case was just a bit fatter I bet it could REALLY equal the 30-06." As it turns out you can make it fat enough to do even better!
By the way the 300 WSM I shot was a Browning and the 270 WSM was a Winchester. We chronographed both rifles (That's how I got to shoot them - I own the chronograph!) and factory as well as handloads lived up to the velocity claims. IDShooter

I have both a 300 and 270 wsm, both are winchesters, the 300 is a M70 classic with a laminated stock and the 270wsm is a super shadow with the synthetic stock. I broke in the 300 with nosler 168gr ballistic silver tips, maxed out at 67gr IMR 4831. My hunting load is 67.5 gr IMR 4831 pushing 165gr swift sciroccos, have a box of 168gr Barnes Xlc that I have yet to try out. I broke in my 270 wsm with the 130gr ballistic silvertips, bought a couple of boxes of 130gr Barnes Xlc's on ebay, found a couple of boxes at a local sporting goods store, my hunting load consists of 66.5 gr of RL 19 pushing those 130's. Just got a chronograph and will try to get those loads chronographed, both rifles shoot 1 1/2 inch groups, the only complaint is that the 300 has a nasty muzzle blast, my chrony beta master might not appreciate that.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,963 Posts
Put the front screen out about 13' - 15' in front of the muzzle and you should be OK for muzzle blast effect on the Chrony.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts