Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems, that currently, CCI is about the only American manufacturer of .22 rimfire ammunition seemingly trying anything new with their brand of rimfire ammunition. Feels like they're trying various powder types and various coatings on that gunpowder to regulate burning rates that work better in shorter to longer rimfire barrels to achieve greater performance. Some selections even burn cleaner than others. Their non-lead .22 rimfire bullets could still use some more thinking though.
Over these last several years I've fallen for just about every new type and style of .22 Long Rifle round that they've turned loose to where I can find it.
When I shoot on my range out back of my shop, it most often involves .22 rimfire ammunition, so one day I'm gonna have the largest "lead mine" in Washburn County.

I can sit dang near all day grouping .22 rimfire bullets and then finding out for myself exactly what velocity is generated from the barrel lengths on the rifles I own from 16 to 27 inches in length. Advertised and box velocities are about as useless as a Playboy Bunny outfit on the clothing rack at Goodwill in Afghanistan. I "gots to know" for myself, like the bank robber laying on the sidewalk said to Dirty Harry when he couldn't remember his round count.

My Oehler 35P hasn't lied to me yet, so I trust what it shows me:

The info gathered is for me, and I don't need to get any WAGs from some who just want to argue over my methods and sanity involved. I'm quite satisfied with what results that I find:

·
Registered
410 Posts
SGWgunsmith.. I enjoy the 22lr. Myself and can sure burn up some rounds .. this might sound a little funny but when your groping rounds in the target do you ever fell like your putting a little English on the ball bullet that is .. to hit where you want it .. you know like a pool ball .. sometimes my focus goes beyond the sights like I can fell where the bullet is going .. that's when I make some incredible shots. . I know weird ☺ kind of like shooting a daisy 177 dd gun .. I'm telling you this because I can see you shoot a lot also. .

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SGWgunsmith.. I enjoy the 22lr. Myself and can sure burn up some rounds .. this might sound a little funny but when your groping rounds in the target do you ever fell like your putting a little English on the ball bullet that is .. to hit where you want it .. you know like a pool ball .. sometimes my focus goes beyond the sights like I can fell where the bullet is going .. that's when I make some incredible shots. . I know weird ☺ kind of like shooting a daisy 177 dd gun .. I'm telling you this because I can see you shoot a lot also. .
No, but I sometimes wish that were possible to do, especially when I have a cluster of four rounds and then the fifth round didn't follow instructions.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice setup you got. Loved the joke about the Playboy Bunny outfit.
Thanks. Seems to be a good "stress reliever" , just poking holes in paper. I have some customers who like to "brag" about having a .22 tack-driver. So, I have them stop by with their tack-driver and then we see if they can actually hit some little orange dots the same size as a thumb tack:

Any and all are free to copy this target, it's fun to try. I use the same target paper that the NRA targets are printed on. 100 count pack off ebay, pretty dang cheap and then I can print out my own targets.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Copied from SGW above--
""When I shoot on my range out back of my shop, it most often involves .22 rimfire ammunition, so one day I'm gonna have the largest "lead mine" in Washburn County. ""

Dont brag may not be liked by EPA/DNR/etc.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
@ jimboro When I was a kid with two newspaper routes and lots of rubber bands, I got deadly with those 'bands. I could and often did, shoot house fly's in the air. Bee's and wasps were easy targets of opportunity. It all came to an end, when my Mother called me out for 'smashed' fly guts on the wall. Career over.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Copied from SGW above--
""When I shoot on my range out back of my shop, it most often involves .22 rimfire ammunition, so one day I'm gonna have the largest "lead mine" in Washburn County. ""

Dont brag may not be liked by EPA/DNR/etc.
Oh! Get real! Do you know how many friggen bullets have been fired during every deer and squirrel season, each year, for the last 90 years in these woods. Find something else to "whine" about.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My thought is that "Tack Driver" means different things to different people.

The best tack drivers are internet tack drivers. I see very few at the range.
Agree. Everybody now, who claims they have a "tack-driver" .22 rifle, can now prove it by posting up their shot up targets.
If you really worry about too many bullets cluttering up your shooting range, just set-up a cast iron skillet behind the target and all those lead bullets will be easily collected after you finish shooting. Oh yah! And make sure you wash your hands very well after shooting those lead bullets as the WARNING states. If you have any lead dust on your fingers after shooting, and eat an egg salad sandwich, you just might get lead poisoning, and then your arse will fall off in two weeks. :p

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Now I know why my 'hind-end' looks like a family of migrants moved out. I handled/loaded a heck of a lot of boolits in my twenties and thirties, hundreds of thousands. Please forgive me, lead dementia.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
The lead ting is interesting. For many years I worked in the field for a GE subsidiary, and every year we were tested for anything and everything toxic. I always waited to be told I had lead poisoning from handling lead bullets, thousands every year. Never happened. Before lead poisoning was widely recognized as a health hazard, I often held lead split shot in my teeth while fishing. Never showed up in a test.

Seems it needs to be in the form of dust, or in a compound as a salt to have much bioavailability. Paint is famous for that, the dust from corroded lead, same.

Apparently lead kills buzzards in California, it may explain why half of California is brain dead or crazy. PA buzzards seem invincible, as any lead in a gut pile is gone in a day. Doesn't hurt the foxes, coyotes, possums, buzzards, etc. The range at my club has been in continuous use since 1955. There isn't a ring of dead animals around the berm.

Might be a political thing?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts