Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone,

I just bought a new 686 plus with 2.5 inch barrel to replace my model 60 pro as my primary carry gun. I've had a friend lusting after my 60 for some time and I finally decided to let him buy it from me. That resulted in the search for a new gun which ended in a 686 plus. I have pretty well decided Im going to have it cut for moon clips but I was trying to decide what to do about the sights. My 60 pro had a tritium insert into the black blade which was a really nice setup. This new 686 uses the black blade with red colored insert style front sight and it works, but its not my favorite.

This got me to thinking about a gold front sight. I know sdm makes a few front sights, but the blade on this pistol is SMALL. I found some meprolight night sights for it but I don't really like the setup that much. Has anyone ever had a jeweler make a gold sight inset? It seems like the perfect solution to me, but I can't find much information to support my theory that this is possible. I have a friend who is a jeweler and a gun nut so Im sure if it can be done, he can do it, just wanted to see what you guys thought. Ive never removed one of those inserts, I assume its just held in by the dovetail itself?

Let me know what you think,
Revolver

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It's certainly possible to insert a malleable metal into a dove tail cut in a sight blade.

Something similar is done when you want to eliminate a front or rear sight dove tail in a barrel. You start with a mild steel strip of material shaped to fit the dove tail, trim it for length, tap it into the dove tail. The piece is intentionally made overly high so that you can then judiciously hammer it into the dove tail letting the malleable steel conform perfectly to the dove tail. You then file it to the barrel contour and polish it to match the barrel. Once the barrel is reblued, the only evidence you'll be able see is a very faint line tracing the location of the dove tail. From more than a couple inches away the filler material is invisible.

You'd make a front sight insert the same way, cutting a dove tail in the blade or using the existing dovetail in the blade, then hammering a piece of gold into the dove tail for a snug, precise fit and then file it to the sight contour, cutting grooves in the new sight insert to match any existing grooves in the blade if you desired, then cold bluing any spots on the blade where the bluing was removed.

Gold is quite soft and very malleable so it's an easy process. But you'll want to stay with one of the harder alloys such as 10 or 12 carat gold rather than one of the softer 14, 18 or 21 carat gold to reduce the chance of putting a dent in the insert or having it work loose under recoil.

Brass is also an option. You'd have to keep the front face of it polished so that it continues to shine, but it is very durable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts