Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Jim Brockman Master Guide gun this weekend and put 10 rounds thru it monday,I'm going to love working with this gun! Upon inspecting the Ballard style bore I can see tool marks,Something new to me from being used to Kreiger target rifle barrels.  I have 100 Rem. 405 gr soft points that I got cheap at the gun shop and am planning on useing them to get familiar with the gun and smooth it out a bit,but have decided to lap it after that and use only cast.  I have a mold being cut by NEI for sizing to .460.  Can I use bullets as cast no sizing from wheel weights as my casting slugs?   KevinNY

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Yes, I would say that you will do nicely with the NEI mold for making your lapping bullets.  Air cooled wheel-weights will make lapping bullets of a BHN 10-12 which are just fine for the purpose.  

You'll see a marked improvement in performance after lapping I'm sure, and probably near elimination of jacket and lead fouling!

Enjoy that new rifle!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK I ordered the lapping supplies,so now, anyone? Marshall included, care to give me some lapping loads they have used successfully? I'll be using a 380 gr bullet.   KevinNY

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Kevin,

Seat those bullets to look almost like wadcutters, with all of the bearing surface contained within the case, on top of 4.5-5.0g Red Dot and any primer.... this should get you into the right velocity range, adjust as necessary for your gun and bullet combo!

Happy lapping!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 4 of 4 Posts