Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. Got the tech manual, read it front to back several times, slugged the boar, ordered the lapping compound and bullets.  Now, I need lapping load info.  I keep hearing "Use a light load"  just what is a light load in these rifles.  Has anybody found a "Standard" for the 450 or 45-70.  I think they shoud be about the same.

Thanks

Marty Brown

·
Registered
66 Posts
Marty:

Do a search on lapping loads in this section.  You should find a thread on lapping loads for the .45-70, which as you say, should be the same for the .450.  Mr. Stanton posted some good information on the subject, replying to me and to someone else.  His favorite lapping powder is Red Dot.  I believe he recommended about 5 grains, but do a search and see.

Regards,
Ray Floyd

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,  Now I just have to find some Red Dot.  Or, could Hodgdon Clays  be used?  I dont have a burn rate chart handy, just a thought.

Marty

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just checked the Beartooth Chart and Clays is the next fastest powder above Red Dot.  I wonder if 4.5 or 4.7 grns. of clays would work?

Marty

(Edited by Marty Brown at 5:16 am on July 20, 2001)

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Marty,

You're in the right ballpark.   Bullseye also works well.  My preference for the Red Dot stems from preferring to use a larger flake type of powder than some of the ball powders of similar burning rate.   Some very nasty detonation type of phenomenon occur on occasion with severe underloadings of fast burning ball powders, so just to be on the safe side all these years, I've settled on either Red Dot or Bulleseye, and have never had a problem with the thousands and thousands of lap loads that I've put through barrels .

I've never tried clays as a lapping powder, so can't really give any insight there.  I just thought I'd let you know that my choice of powder isn't strictly burning rate, but the other consideration as well.

Be safe, and let us know how your project goes!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Marshal,
I think I found a source of red dot,  but thanks for the info anyway, i was just trying to use what I have onhand.  If the red dot deal falls through and I use the clays I will let you know how thing go.(hopefully not from the hospital)

Marty

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone had any luck using Green dot for lapping loads, a friend wants to give away a pound of it if I can use it?

Read somewhere in the shooters forum to use half a grain more than red dot.

Thanks,  Marty

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Yep,  Green Dot wil do the trick!  Half a grain more is the right recipe as well.  The price is right, and it's great powder for reduced velocity cast bullet loads in many cartridges.  You'll surely find a use for it after your lapping project!

Keep us posted!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Marshall,

Think I FINALY found a winner.  

If you have worked up any load date for the 450 please le me know.  I sent you an email early this year but, at the time I was asking about 300 to 350grn bullets. In your reponse to that email you said you were working on some.  

After spending a lot of time on your sight, decided to go with a bigger bullet.

Thanks again,

Marty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts