Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marshall,
I'm just about finished slugging all of my barrels as per your tech guide. I have to pick up a melting pot and a ladle to do the throats. Plan on doing that  at the Washington Arms Collectors show this weekend. Can you give some suggestions for lapping loads in the following calibers: 22 Hornet, 30.06, 7.62X39, 9mm, 44mag, and .444 Marlin. I currently have the following powders on hand: H110, H414, A1680, AA#5, and RL-7.
Is there one powder that will work for lapping all of the above listed calibers?

I have set up your "urban" fire lapping tires in my attached garage and have fired both rifles and pistols in the contraption, with standard loads and the noise is minimal.
Thanks,
Mark

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
Mark, generally people use the fast-burning powders like Bullseye and Red Dot, and just a couple of grains regardless of the cartridge.  As an example for the .357 I can get away with about 1.5 grains and the bullet seated backwards, flush with the case mouth (to take up all the extra air space as much as possible).  

For the .30-06 I used 4 grains.  Keep in mind that if you are pointing straight down, the powder is away from the primer and this may not be enough.  

Ask around - these are fairly popular powders and so you may find someone with just a dab left in a can who'll let you have it.  It doesn't take much as you can see with this method.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike,
Marshal's tech guide recomends using a case filler to hold the powder next to the primer. Am I wrong in assuming that this will work when shooting staight down? I guess I will find out. I have a couple of brass rods ready in case I stick a bullet.
Mark

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Mike's observations and suggestions I concur with wholeheartedly.  Make sure however that if you are using a filler, which you will need shooting straight down as already pointed out, that you use, Red Dot (my lapping favorite), IMR 800X (also very good) or perhaps Green Dot.  These are shotgun powders desiged to be ignited compressed in a shotsheck.   They work very well in lapping loads, and the loads Mike suggested with Bullseye will work very nicely with Red Dot as well.

As for powder, if you don't want to buy a full pound, perhaps you can either bum some as suggested, or gun shows are an excellent resource, lots of times I can buy 3/4 pound leftovers for a couple of bucks!

If not, IMR 800X is sold by the 8 oz. can, and can be purchased in my area for about six bucks.  A very nice option.

I've also found as a bonus that IMR 800X also makes up into some very nice mid-range .44 mag, .45 Colt and .357 mag loads.  Doesn't meter well due to large flakes, but if weighed have had great results in these cartridges.  So what is left over from lapping you can shoot in your handguns!

Hope this gives you some ideas!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 5 of 5 Posts