Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
There are benefits, even to the jacketed shooter.  Often times you'll see an improvement in accuracy, a reduction, or elimination of jacket fouling, and a modest increase in velocity since you've lowered the friction coefficient of the barrel by the lapping process.

I've never seen a barrel properly lapped to the detriment of accuracy, and I've always noted a marginal velocity increase, and a marked decrease in barrel fouling.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
178 Posts
Marshall,

I know this is a bit off topic for this thread, but how do firelapping and hand lapping, as offered by barrel makers, compare.

Fireplug

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Marshall:
Thanks for the reply.  Got your book on lapping and at this time have chosen to start reloading with jacketed bullets.  Perhaps at some time in the future will go the cast route.  thanks again.  Really enjoy this site and gaining a lot of knowledge through it.   God bless.   John

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would always choose hand lapping, you will get a smooth bore from end to end. Firelapping  wears the throut and does minamal good at the muzzel.

·
Registered
220 Posts
snake river rufus(snazzy name, by the way),
                                                          At the air gun velocities firelapping loads are fired, throat erosion would be non-existent. With firelapping, you're right, the muzzle end is not worked as hard as the breach end, that is the beauty of it all. A barrel that slightly tapers all the way to the muzzle will provide the cast or jacketed bullet shooter with optimal accuracy. Plus, it's alot more fun shooting the barrel smooth than going back an forth, back and forth, back and forth.........

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts