Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always used CCI large rifle primer however I have a chance to purchase Match large rifle primers at a good price.ill someone tell me the difference.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,279 Posts
In theory, a slight improvement in accuracy, perhaps.

You'd have to test them to figure out if it will make any practical difference for you.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
From what I've read they are "supposed" to be more consistent primer. Some say they see no difference and others say they can see a slight difference in accuracy. And then it's also said they are interchangeable with no difference. I've not used them myself so no first hand knowledge.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I tested some 270 loads with Herter's LR Primers from the 60's vs. some CCI BR 2's from the late 80's. I know that this is nowhere definitive, but I got about 1/10th of an inch better from the BR primers. I just loaded up some new SR BR primers against some regular ones and when I get to the range, I will see if I notice any difference.

·
Registered
854 Posts
They will not hurt an already accurate load , supposedly made to tighter tolerances and to be more consistent . If the price is not obscene you might want to buy them ... who knows if/when you will ever see match primers again .
Primers is primers ...get what you can get while the getting is good !
Gary

·
Premium Member
15,744 Posts
If you have a 'match' rifle, you might tell a difference but it could just be the phase of the moon. ;)

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,753 Posts
I have always used CCI large rifle primer however I have a chance to purchase Match large rifle primers at a good price.ill someone tell me the difference.
Depends on what you are using it in, and how you load.
Anything 308 - 30-06 sized, that is WITHIN SAAMI pressure levels; aren't likely to be enough different to matter. Between McPherson's testing and my own, minimum is identical; worst case is about 10% pressure difference.

As with any component change, start over with load development.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If you have a 'match' rifle, you might tell a difference but it could just be the phase of the moon. ;)
When I was shooting hunter class and cast bullet benchrest competitively, I tried CCI BR and Federal 210Match primers (and Remington 7 1/2 in small primer cases). Benchrest shooters have been known to be 'a little anal' about their beliefs, equipment, and practices, but I 'believed' they made a difference, could have been as much a placebo effect, but as long as I thought they were 'better or more accurate', that was good enough for me. When you look at, and study, a bunch of benchrest match results, both who won and the equipment listings (mainly national big matches with travelling shooters) there is a lot variability in the finishing ratings/positions (meaning 'trading places') from match to match among the 'regular' top finishers (say top 20 to 30 shooters). This has led me to conclude that, while 'talent and equipment' certainly plays a major role in repeat winnings, there is a good deal of serendipity at play as well.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I've used CCI BR4 and Federal210 M and can't tell a big difference in accuracy, maybe a little. I agree every little bit helps if your shooting for utmost accuracy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The only difference is consistency, during the manufacturing process machines are calibrated to produce the product, depending on manufacturer they will have 2 or 3 perhaps 4 machines pumping out the primers, except when it comes to bench rest or match primers, to help a consistent blend they use just 1 machine so no adjustments are necessary to get the compounds that make up the primer the same,

·
Banned
1 Posts
I've used CCI BR4 and Federal210 M and can't tell a big difference in accuracy, maybe a little. I agree every little bit helps if your shooting for utmost accuracy.
I use the federal Match LRP in my 45-70 & my 30-30 and noticed a difference in the group sizes when I was sighting in my scope

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,753 Posts
We know 😉

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is supposedly more consistency in the manufacturing process of the Match primers. I have used both in the same load recipe, mostly with 30 30 loads, with absolutely no really noticeable difference in accuracy. That has been my experience anyway.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Crazy idea but I' gonna throw it out there anyway. Try both and see which one you like best!

Funny thing. On this catfish site I like I saw a new ABU casting reel offered for cat fishermen. Painted camo and said something like catfish special on the side. Found out that all it is is an ABU 6500 with a different pain job and a huge price increase. Amazingly a lot of people buy it thinking it's something special! You got a good price on them I'd get them but not because they say match on the box!

·
Premium Member
15,744 Posts
We can't control the quality of primers so we spend a little extra hoping it helps. Many years ago, CCI said 'Match' primers were the first primers from new dies and overall as good as they could make them.
Anybody remember CCI Match primers being marked with an embossed 'm'? I think they quit that when magnum primers were introduced.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
We can't control the quality of primers so we spend a little extra hoping it helps. Many years ago, CCI said 'Match' primers were the first primers from new dies and overall as good as they could make them.
Anybody remember CCI Match primers being marked with an embossed 'm'? I think they quit that when magnum primers were introduced.
The CCI's were stamped with a 'B', If memory serves (I still have some, but am too tired to go down stairs to dig them out to confirm!). I had never heard the 'new die' story. It seems to me that the 'B' stamping had to be applied somewhere during the cup formation process , and not on a 'final' primer product. If I'm right, that pretty much eliminates the premise that the CCI match or benchrest primers are the result of better/more consistent lot testing (no?). My benchrest preference was Federal 210M and Remington 7 1/2.
In the early 70's I found that a 17 Ackley Bee Martini rifle I had would pierce any primer other than the Remington 7 1/2, with it's thicker cup.
In anything other than a match quality rifle, in my opinion, one would be hard pressed to see (with any certainty) any discernable accuracy difference between same brand standard and match primers (unless there is a significant difference in primer brisance). Certainly not in 30-30 lever actions or 30-06 Rem. 742's...meaning, mainly straight up factory rifles. When you are trying to shave off .001's" off of your group match aggregates, anything can make a difference (even if it's in your head).
Now, if I found match primers at a deal (with same or lower prices), I'd be shooting those match primers, otherwise I'd be guided by price (unless benchrest shooting).

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
You can see the 'B'Stamp here, with some commentary:
"When I seated CCI BR4 small rifle benchrest primers into the Alpha Munitions brass,"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts