Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to get a laser sight for my ruger lcp 380. anyone have any opinion on lasermax or aimshot or anything else for that matter...

thanks john :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
...or anything else for that matter.

I understand the allure of a laser sight on a handgun, but for SD I personally don't think that they are a very good idea. People tend to grow dependent on them and forget about an instinct style of shooting more suited to a SD situation, which is what I believe should be focused on. Were you to ever find yourself in a SD scenario I doubt you'd have time to switch the laser on if it needed to be or to mentally make sure that you're on the pressure point to enable it, then to find the dot projected on your assailant and adjust accordingly before pulling the trigger. Time is of the essence in that kind of situation, and though the laser is cool I really don't see them of being much use for SD in the end.
An LCP 380 is a definitive close range SD pistol in my opinion... but we know what opinions are! ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
agreed... i must admit its the most challenging pistol i have ever shot. i was hoping that the sight would help with target recovery. in order to get the restrictions removed from my permit i have to hit a 9" target 5 times in 10 sec at 7yds... doesn't sound hard until you try it with that little thing. i could do it easily with my target 22 but i cant conceal that :D

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
jtcsrvbi,

Laser sights have their limitations, especially outdoors in bright sunlight Several people in my handgun classes have the Ruger LCP .380 with the Red Dot laser sight. In bright sunlight, it is nearly impossible for most shooters to employ their lasers on a B-27 silhouette beyond 7 yards.

Low light situations are where the laser shines, no pun intended.

Webley

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jtcsrvbi,

Several people in my handgun classes have the Ruger LCP .380 with the Red Dot laser sight.

Webley

do you still shoot with them? is there a brand they like. i will be shooting indoors and i can make the room as dark as i need to.

thanks!!!:)

i just reread this... when you say red dot sight i think of the scope... i am looking for the actual laser. i use a red dot on my 45... they are a perfect match one is about as inaccurate as the other

·
Registered
124 Posts
I knew a woman with a Ruger LCP .380 with a laser sight on it, I believe hers came from the factory that way and I could be wrong but I think they used a Lasermax brand.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
Guys,

When I said, "Red Dot", I was referring to the red dot on the target and NOT a specific brand. The laser sights were factory installed and bought in the ready mode that when you squeezed the grip, the red light went to the target.

I apologize for any confusion in my prior post. However, outdoors in bright sunlight, the red spot on the target is elusive at best. I suggest you test fire any laser sight system in all conditions to be aware of any limitations.

Webley

1 - 7 of 7 Posts