1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PETA Unveils Ad Featuring Boy Scout Opposed to Fishing

By Fred Jackson and Jim Brown
July 13, 2001

(AgapePress) - A radical animal rights group has launched a campaign to try to convince Americans that fishing should be banned, and the group is using a Boy Scout to front its effort.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is well-known for its efforts to convince people that killing non-human creatures is evil. But in Connecticut, they have put a new twist on their cause by employing a Boy Scout to do a television ad that denounces fishing, arguing that it is cruel and inhumane.

The Hartford Courant newspaper reports Justin Aligata is a willing participant in the campaign. In the commercial, he says he does not understand how the Scouts can offer merit badges in fishing when the organization’s 1998 handbook says a Scout does not harm or kill any living thing.

Aligata, who says he became a vegetarian after attending Earth Day festivities a few years ago, appears in the ad in full Scouts uniform.

The Scouts national spokesman, Gregg Shields, says the Scouts gave its okay for Aligata’s participation, but does not plan to stop offering merit badges for fishing.

The 30-second spot is due to start running this weekend in Connecticut and in Dallas, headquarters of the Boy Scouts. One local Hartford area network, WVIT-TV, NBC30, has refused to air the commercial because it is too controversial.

© 2001 AgapePress all rights reserved.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Contender:

Well, I'm not surprised.  The other boys in that kid's troop ought to shame him right out.  What's the world coming to?  If he stays a vegetarian, I'm sure he'll be one of those pale, sickly looking things that you see wearing hemp, baggy clothes, and such like.

Kind of makes you sick, doesn't it?

Somebody needs to give that kid and PETA some lessons on "The Way Things Are."  

Regards,
Ray

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well this does not surprise me in the least it reminds me of a news story i heard a while back on the foxnews channel in wisconsin PETA was telling 6th graders that drinking milk was actually bad for them. they were doing this cause they say that giving milk actually hurts the cows that group will stoop to new lows to get everybody to agree with them.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Would these be the same Boy Scouts that are under such heavy attack for their stand on Gay Rights?

I cannot imagine them giving permission for one of their boys to become a token "spokesman" for such drivel. To allow the young man to appear in uniform was an error that will cost dearly. A precedent has been set.

If this were a chess game, I would say that they just moved into a corner and checkmate is forthcoming.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Scotty

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some one should tell that young misguided Boy Scout that Vegetarians are just food for the meat eaters.
Besides that vegetarian is an old indian word it means bad hunter. As far as Peta goes  these people are Terrorist nothing more their actions over the years have run the gamut from crimminal to horribly inhuman. Most of the other bunny huggers dont even want anything to do with them. Hows that for reputation
He said Bring them hither unto me. And he commanded the multitude to sit down on the grass, and took the five loaves, and the two fishes,and looking up to heaven,he blessed,and brake, and gave the loaves to his disciples, and the disciples to the mutitude. AMEN

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
You know, the "guru" behind PETA (who's name I cannot remember right know) is a staff member at Harvard who's area of specialty is human ethics. He recently published a paper on the ethics of humans having sex with animals. His idea basically was that as long as the animal is not harmed it is OK! In other words chickens are a no-no because it usually kills the chicken (how do they know this?!) but sheep, horses and the like are OK.:shocked: I think if the general public knew what kind of sick freaks are behind this organization they would be totally put off. I wish I knew the specifics about this, but I don't have them. Perhaps someone should try to get this information publicized as the PETA ads ran. Then think of what impact the ads would have!
Zilch!                            FWIW      ID

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
The man's name I referred to in my previous post is Peter Singer. He holds a chair at Princeton, not Harvard. I will try to find a referrence to the article I mentioned.

ID

1 - 7 of 7 Posts