1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lawsuit halts shooting range near Flagstaff

Associated Press
Mar. 2, 2003

FLAGSTAFF - Construction of a shooting range near Flagstaff has been halted by a legal action brought by a group of area residents.

For the state Game and Fish Department to build the proposed $8 million Bellemont Shooting Facility, it must complete a land swap with the U.S. Forest Service.

No transfer of deeds or building at the site, however, will be allowed until a lawsuit filed by a group of Flagstaff-area residents is heard in May, according to documents filed in U.S. District Court.

A spokeswoman for the group who filed the lawsuit said members consider the halting of range construction to be good news.

"We don't know when this will happen, but it could be May until we know what the judge will rule," said Celia Barotz, speaking for Citizens to Relocate the Range. "It's basically great news for us."

Game and Fish officials broke ground at the site three months ago and planned by August to open a range for archery and pistol and rifle shooting.

The lawsuit demands a yearlong study to assess the environmental impact of the range. Among the concerns of site neighbors is the possibility that the range could cause noise disturbances.

Duane Shroufe, director of Game and Fish, said that concerns about noise generated at the facility are groundless. The Bellemont facility meets and exceeds legal sound standards for all shooting facilities in Arizona, he said.

"We believe the residents of northern Arizona should welcome the range," he said.

The Forest Service, represented by the U.S. Attorney's Office, reached an agreement with the citizens group Feb. 18 in Phoenix to halt the land exchange.

The Forest Service was planning to swap the 770-acre site, located near Interstate 40 west of Flagstaff, for Game and Fish holdings near Flagstaff and in the Kaibab National Forest.

The agency declined to comment about the issue because of the current litigation.

Find this article at:
http://www.arizonarepublic.com/arizona/articles/0302shootingrange02.html

·
Banned
738 Posts
This is one lawsuit that I hope the plaintifs LOSE!!!!!

Since I am moving back to AZ sometime this year I would love to go to a modern range up near Flag.

Oh to see the SanFrancisco Peaks again.........Be still my heart.

·
Registered
37 Posts
j miller

IF YOU COME BACK YOU MAY FIND ITS NOT THE SAME OLD TOWN. IF YOU ARE FOR HUNTTING AN GUNS AN BOWS AN THE COLLIGE FINES OUT THAY POST YOUR NAME ON THE SCHOOL WEB AN THAY START CALL AN EMAILING YOU TILL YOU ALL MOST GO NUTS OR YOU TRNE YOUR PHONE OFF . WE HAD A PREDATOR CALLING CONTEST LAST MOUNTH AN BOY DID THE PROTEST START BUT IT DID NOT STOP IT FISH AN GAME BACK IT THANK GOD AN ALL THE HUNTERS

·
Banned
738 Posts
chris_horn32,

Yep, I'm aware that AZ has changed a bit. But it is still much better than IL.
As for the college calling and emailing and harrassment in general there are laws against that. One just needs to be aware of it and use them. It's not easy fighting the liberal utopianists that inhabit colleges, but it can be done.

·
Banned
57 Posts
what a shame

why do folks always have to bother gun owners?
how many range accidents happen each year?
you cant shoot anywhere anymore without being hassled by someone.
what a shame.:mad:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'm Glad that I have thousands of acrer to shoot on. I guess you just can't find a spot out in the desert and shoot anymore in AZ?:confused: Or are you one that has to shoot at a established range?
Yep you would think that those "students" would have something better to do like "Learn". I tell you what if it was my son /daughter I would be mad that they are wastsing my money like that -they'd be paying there own way through school!!!!:mad:
Hey maybe you should find out there names and let there parents know what they are doing instead of learning!!!!:D Maybe you lesson the field some when the parents cut them off.!!!:)

·
Banned
738 Posts
Gunnut45/454,

As for me, no I don't NEED an established range. But sometimes I like to just go somewhere that has comfortable seats, shade, water, maybe a soda machine. Then I can sit back and enjoy sighting in my loudenboomer.

Usually I prefer to go out to the desert. But, in AZ much of the land is National Forest. And the National Forest Service is beginning to close off the forests to shooters. It's OK to take your ATV's, quads, and dirt bikes and destroy the land, but you can't shoot. See my pic in the link. The day I took that picture there was SIX (6) people in the entire are. Me and my two step sons were three of them. The Forest Service is using this "Congested Area" crap as an excuse to cut shooters off from the forrest land.

Much of the land is Indian Reservations. Just try to go shooting there without being a member of the tribe. Go ahead, I dare any white man to try. No, don't jump on me, there are ways to legally hunt on the reservations, but we were not talking about hunting.

And much much more of the land is being eaten up with the growth of the Phoenix area. I drove through there last August and was agast at the growth in just the last three years since I left. Enough to make you (need a puke icon) barf.

There is still good open areas left. And when I get back to AZ I will find them. How long they will last, I don't know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
GUNNUT 45/454

THANKS I HAVE THERE NAMES AN PHONE# THINK ILL TRY THAT AS FOR A RANGE PUT ONE IN AT MY HOUSE . J MILLER IS RIGHT ABOUT RES. I LIVE I MILE AS THE CROW FLYS. AN WORK PART TIME FOR A RANCH THAT BORDERS IT SOME TIMES WE CANT EVEN GET OR COWS BACK. TILL NIGHT THAT IS. AN LEAVE YOUR GUNS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FINCE OR FACE TRIBLE LAW. JMILLER IF YOU COME BACK EMAILE ME WOULD LIKE TO MEET OR GO HUNTING MY WIFE DOES NOT LIKE ME GOING ALONE ALL THE TIME AN MY BOY IS 2 SO HE CAN NOT SIT STILL YET

·
Banned
738 Posts
chris,

I'll keep it in mind. I don't like to go out shooting or hunting alone either. Wifie goes with me sometimes, but she has her things to do to.

What part of AZ you in?

·
Registered
37 Posts
J MILLER

JUST OUT SIDE FLAGSTAFF 37MILES NEER LEUPP ON SOUTH SHEBA CRATER ITS JUST 2 MILES OFF BLACK TOP ITS GOOD PLACE TO RASE KIDS NO GANGS AN CAN TEACH THEM TO GE HIGH ON HUNTING NOT DRUGS AN HOW TO TAKE CARE OF ANAMULES AN HOPFULY TO READ AN WRIGHT A LOT BETTER THEN ME. HAVE A GRATE VOUE OF THE PEAKS OUT FRONT WINDOW AN THIS YEAR THAY ARE SNOW COVERED. WILL TRY TO GET WIFE TO SCANE IN WHEN SHE COMES HOME.I;M STUCK HOME WITH BROKEN BACK SHE GOT ME THIS P.C. FOR SOME THING TO DO AND TO HELP WORK ON MY SPEELING SPEEL CHECK GAVE UP HOPE YOU CAN MAKE OUT.WELL HAVE NICE DAY ITS ABOUT 67 HERE AM GOING TO GO FOR WALK

·
Banned
738 Posts
Chris,

Sorry to hear about your back. Mine isn't broken, but it's no good either.
Your local sounds like my idea of heaven. Yes a pic of the peaks from your front window would make me feel wonderfull.
When we get back to AZ we will probably get stuck in Phx but will hopefully be temporary.
J

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Chris:
That's real pretty country. How come there's so many of us in this forum with busted backs? Be careful, think before you move or lift anything.

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
738 Posts
Chris;

WOW! That is some view!!!! LOVE IT!

Things are starting to happen here, I may, (no guarantees) be back in AZ before the summer.
When I get there, I'm gonna look you up, and maybe we can go hunt rocks.

Joe

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,026 Posts
Watch out for those Arizona rocks, J Miller -

They's awfully shy and spooky - gotta stalk up on 'em, usually getting only a 400-500 yd shot. They's a size limit, also. Kain't take anything smaller'n 2 inches or larger than 8 inches. That's measured from the flat ground to top. Most folks go for the 3 and 4 inchers as the best eatin' and tenderest.

Lots of them rocks out my way - the drought has produced rare double drops of 'um, and we already had a bumper crop to begin with.

Sure hope the folks up Flag way are able to get the darn'd nuisance suit dropped and get on with building the range facility. With the population growth of the state, we're fast running out of places close to urban communities where you can safely and legally shoot. I belong to the Rio Salado Sportsmens Club and our range facility is just a few miles north of town on both G&F and BLM land. Makes it handy for me to shoot - used to shoot on state and Nat'l Forest lands 'til the weirdo's started taking over, trashing the areas and leaving dead bodies laying around. The hikers, horse riders, bikers and ATV's have pretty much bitched to get the other areas closed off, too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
range

do not think its dead yet i hear there still working on it the pepole that live in bellmont want it so there is still a big push for it if the colage would back off it will go on. as for the bikers an horse people trashing places i;v oned both an find its just people that donot respect the out doors they take it for grantit or thay think its some one eals will pick it up . have 4 horses now ride time o cast to feed 300 mounth joy to my wife price less. joy to my kids to bee walked around on there backs all the hugs an kiss i want its the small things in life we should stop to injoy

·
Banned
65 Posts
People need an established range, it benefits even the non-shooters, but you can't tell them that. These are the same people who will turn a criminal loose because they feel society is to blame for his actions, but want to hold a gun responsible for a shooting. Go figure. I hope these idiots lose and the range goes through. Good luck.
J.P.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Gunnut45/454 said:

Yep you would think that those "students" would have something better to do like "Learn".

Gunnut,

You'd be shocked to see what passes for "higher education" these days. In my experience here in the East, with friends who attended several different universities as well as my own time at the University of Pittsburgh, college is very much a re-education camp. When I was the president of the gun club on campus, we had our assigned room stolen from us by the homosexual group that was maybe 1/8 the size of our organization. Even though we quickly became the second largest student group, we were then assigned a two-seat cubicle with all the other tiny fringe groups. This cubicle was vandalized on a number of occasions. Our flyers were habitually torn-down within hours of being posted in plain sight of hundreds of people. When we had informational setups in the student union, we'd be harrassed by every left-wing group and individual on campus. When gun or "animal rights" issues were discussed in the school newspaper, the campus chapters of the Young Democrats, the women's anti-violence groups, or PETA would be quoted. I was able to respond after the fact exactly three times with letters to the editor, for well over a dozen anti articles. Not once was I permitted to print a pro-gun and/or hunting article.

In short, universities are much more about molding mush-headed teens into nice, compliant liberals than with real education.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts