Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I frequently reload for .44 / .45 handguns and was wondering if any of you could tell me what LBT design has the best reputation for accuracy. Thanks.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I hope I can help a bit.  Marshall Stanton has stated the most accurate bullets he sells in 44 are the 250gr LFNGC and the 300 gr LMNDCGC.  I don't have much experience with the 250 gr but quite a lot with the 300gr bullet.  With a scoped and firelapped SBH I have gotten down to 2" groups with the 300 gr bullet.  With my very best shooting (iron sights) I cannot tell the difference between the 100 to 200 yard accuracy between many of the LBT gas checked bullets.  I just co-wrote the latest tech notes where we stretched out shooting to 200 yards with handguns.  I shot 4 different LBT gas checked bullets in 2 different fire lapped Redhawks and all the bullets were more accurate than I am.

My feeling ( I stole this from James Gates by the way) is that the great majority of LBT bullets will outshoot the shooter in the field where it counts.  The only exception I can think of is if the gun simply hates a load/bullet.  All good reloading practices apply and I would recommend you get Marshall's book on shooting lead bullets.  

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.  Maybe somebody else can share 45 info with you.

God bless................  Bill M

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,233 Posts
They all outshoot me too!

In the .45, for what it's worth, I've gotten a little better results with over 300 grain bullets - say 335-340.  But that was just with the heavier weight, not by changing bullet design.  Possibly just a quirk of my gun.

As I don't have scopes on my revolvers I don't think I would ever be able to tell the difference, if there was one, between the bullet styles.

My personal opinion.... bullet design is secondary to quality of the mould and fit to the gun, so much that you'll never be able to prove one over the other, without shooting many thousands of rounds.

OK.... want an opinion?  Don't think that you can go wrong with a WFN, unless for shooting extremely (for a handgun) long range, 100 yards plus.  What are you planning on using them in and at what ranges?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts