Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start reloading this summer, and I want to load a little for accuracy, and a lot for costs. This got me thinking about bullet casting.
I've cast round .50 cal balls for muzzleloaders so I have the melting pot.
But I'm wondering if a .30-06 can push lead fast enough to wear the barrel out?
If so, is there any way to prevent this? I have absolutely no idea how to jacket the bullet, or powder coat it. I'm willing to try and learn though, but I don't want to spend a whole lot on equipment to coat or jacket them. Is there any way to not wear out the barrel? A special lube?

I'm new to the whole reloading high velocity cast stuff, so any tips and advice would be helpful.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
Rifleman97,

I shoot lots of cast bullets in my rifles and handguns. If you have not read Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, I recommend it. Cast bullets will not harm gun barrels. In my .30-06 rifles the most accurate cast bullets run 1600 to 1900 fps. I use gas checks and Alox lube for most cast rifle bullets.

Webley

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't plan on pushing velocity with cast bullets because I just want to make them for fun and to make shooting cheaper, so I won't use a whole lot of powder. But I am curious, what's the fastest you can safely push them? Pretend it's a 160 grain cause that's what my gun likes best so far

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
Rifleman97,

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook lists recommended powder charges. On page 191, the .30-06 load using the 160 grain cast bullet goes from 1687 fps to 2731 fps. I shoot 173 to 185 grain cast bullets in a range up to about 1900 fps. Range test your cast bullets and do not be surprised if your accuracy load is way under 2731 fps. Use a good #2 Alloy, or harder if you are trying for high velocity.

Webley

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Bare Pure Soft Lead bullets have one Speed Limit"
The hardes Cast Lead alloys have another, Higher one.
Paper patched Lead bullets have a still higher one.
Using Gas Checks give another Limit.
Coated Bullets are somewhere in the also.
Jacketed bullet ssem to run even Higher Speed.
and Solid None Lead might allow even faster Speeds.

What Limits the 'Speeds is when Powder Gasses or Friction begin to melt the Base of the bullet and deposit melted metal in the Bore of the Firearm.

Best regards,
Chev. William

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,122 Posts
Yup. The 'fastest' depends on a lot of things, but for sure you can't push the 'wrong' bullet too fast, with the wrong powder, bore condition, etc.

The fastest I have personally run some.... I was testing some surplus powders in my .338, and I ran some to around 2,700fps. That's not a typo. Beartooth 250gr. gas-checked bullets, and yeah, there was plenty of recoil, but no substantial fouling.

Like the sign says..... kids, don't try this at home. But most folks are plumb agog when you tell them that GOOD cast bullets with GOOD lube can run over 2,000fps. Much less the speeds I got.

There is an awful lot to it, start slow and work your way up carefully.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
No the lead bullets won't damage your barrel.
yes, get the Lyman book on casting.
Don't try pushing the cast bullets very hard unless your ducks are in a row. Think you'll find the best accuracy between 1800- 2200 fps.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I want to start reloading this summer, and I want to load a little for accuracy, and a lot for costs. This got me thinking about bullet casting.
I've cast round .50 cal balls for muzzleloaders so I have the melting pot.
But I'm wondering if a .30-06 can push lead fast enough to wear the barrel out?
If so, is there any way to prevent this? I have absolutely no idea how to jacket the bullet, or powder coat it. I'm willing to try and learn though, but I don't want to spend a whole lot on equipment to coat or jacket them. Is there any way to not wear out the barrel? A special lube?

I'm new to the whole reloading high velocity cast stuff, so any tips and advice would be helpful.
No cast bullets don't wear out a barrel. In a Thompson I fixed 3 years ago, cast bullets were used except for the clip of hardball used at the end of a shooting session. There's also the cast bullet association who shoot cast out of a lot if firearms.

·
Registered
670 Posts
White Label Lube sells some wonderful lube for cast... I use the carnauba red for all of my cast, whether pistol, revolver or rifle.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Rifleman97,

Forget anything you may have heard or read about a cast bullet wearing out a barrel. Simply not going to happen unless and some how you have greatly contaminated your alloy with some sort of abrasive.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for White Label Lube. I use their BAC product. Good product, GOOD PRICE, good people.

Now as to velocity without issues ------------------------------------ BULLET TO BORE FIT is number ONE thing to consider!!!!!!!!!! Without proper fit, your simply beating your head against the wall with trying to deal with all the other variables.

I have tested a goodly pile of ammo in my 45/70 at velocities OVER 2000fps and as high as a bit over 2500fps, with no negative leading issues!

A few streaks of lead left behind are NOT negative issues and unless the leading begins to build up it never will be.

Years back I looked at a used RUGER single action .357 to possibly buy. I didn't!!!!!!!!!!!! The leading in the barrel was so thick it looked like it was ready to start flaking off the bore. DEEP!!!!!!

That was in the days when ammo companies still loaded swaged soft lead bullets in the .357 at magnum velocities.. Unless the cylinder throats were just right and the bullet to bore fit correct, that was a recipe for serious leading issues.

Please note that the much used term, "Hard Cast" is meaningless unless it is accompanied with tested BNH hardness figures. Don't just take someone's "Hard Cast" as gospel.

Besides the fact that overly hard can be a negative issue in a number of ways and if your ducks are in a row you do not need "HARD" to have good results at 2000+ fps.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
117 Posts
Old, old wive's tale. Lead bullets will not wear out a barrel... Wanna read a bit about cast bullet casting, lubing, sizing, loading and shooting? Look here Cast Boolits Another great read; From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide For Handgunners, Table of Contents - Fryxell/Applegate

Glen Fryxell and I will be hunting varmints in south eastern part of the state weekend after next; I'm guessing he'll use his .25 hornet resolver with cast! He's my favourite hunting/shooting companion.
bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you're going to shoot 30-06 I recommend using linotype with copper gas checks and not pushing your bullet in excess of 1800 feet a second properly lubed.

H110 is a favorite cast bullet powder for the 30-06. As always, check any load that anyone gives you, but I recommend roughly 17 grains of H110 as a good place to start with the 30-06, with anywhere from 125 grain to a 180 grain bullet.

If you are going to shoot soft lead without a gas check, ie, using a plain base bullet properly lubed, I would not recommend pushing your bullet in excess of 1300 feet a second.

Sizing your bullet properly will also be important. You may have to experiment with your particular barrel to find the bullet mold and sizing required to give you the best accuracy. Sizing the bullet anywhere from .309 to .310 for a .308 Barrel is probably going to do best for you.

Also unlike using copper bullets, you can actually seat the bullets out until they touch the rifling of your barrel with a proper reduced load like the one indicated above.

Be sure to benchrest and shoot at your desired range to find what yields the best accuracy. You will probably have to readjust your scope if you've been used to using full power hunting loads. Once an accurate load has been selected you can shoot anyway you want to.

Shooting cast bullets can enable your rifle barrel to last a lifetime. Whereas competitive Shooters using jacketed bullets usually have to replace their rifle barrels after shooting less than a thousand full power rounds.

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Rifleman97,

I shoot lots of cast bullets in my rifles and handguns. If you have not read Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, I recommend it. Cast bullets will not harm gun barrels. In my .30-06 rifles the most accurate cast bullets run 1600 to 1900 fps. I use gas checks and Alox lube for most cast rifle bullets.

Webley
How many grains are the bullets you are using?

·
Registered
526 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Shooting lead bullets

Good for you, save money. I have a few guns and never purchase bullets.

To save money, I use a "deer" weighted bullet in my .270 win.
140 Grains and 40 grains of 4350 which will drive the GC bullet about 2000 FPS. For me, that's a fun plinking load. Want to hunt deer? Crank it up with a super load of 55 grains of 4350 and watch muzzle velocity jump to over 2900 fps. I don't know how stable that would be but it's well within SAMMI specs.

Just keep in mind...less testosterone = less powder = less cost.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts