Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we mostly talk about bigger ones, But I got a new Ruger 1-V in 22-250 while the forum was down. Talk about fondle factor this guns got it in spades. Now if I can only get it to shoot with cast I will be right pleased. Any of you have experience with this, I would be glad to hear it!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
DOUBLEJK, I don't have any experience with the 22-250 but I just got my new issue of "Handloader" and they have a great article about cast bullets and they listed some loads for the 22-250. One load showed a 55 gr RCBS SP @1961 fps using 15 gr.s of H4198. They shot a .36 in. group.
Good luck...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Smokepole, I will be watching for it to get here by snail mail.:D

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,230 Posts
I'm about to embark on loading some cast bullets in my .22-250. Will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I compete in Black Powder Cartridge Sillhouette competition and I also varmint with a 22-250. We make our own bullets in BPCR and it's a PITA. I gotta ask why you want to shoot lead in a 22-250. For the life of me I can't think of a good reason? Why don't you find a 45-70 and then make some bullets. You will be much happier and a 45-70 is damn accurate at 500 meters with a 500 grain bullet..
Mad`

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its the challenge of it Mad. I too have a 45-70 a Marlin 1895 and it shoots cast bullets real good. Casting and reloading are my hobbies, I like to work up good cast loads for all of my guns, .22 to .45, I have a Mini Mark X in .223 and It shoots the Lyman 225475 at about 2100fps into a little over an inch at 100yds. I would like to get the new 22-250 to do it too!!;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
I can't recall where I read it at the moment, but I did hear of a fellow who was shooting full house .223 with plain base cast. I believe they were obscenely hard and bordered on frangible, but he was able to do it.

Another that I've read about with .223 was over on another forum. If you search cast lead .223 in google it should bring up some stuff to read. I won't give out the forum since this site is funded by hardworking folks that make cast bullets for a living. I'll let you do the searching on that.

Assuming it isn't much different than the 30-'06 I've shot with cast, I can offer that a gas check is helpful and I haven't had much success beyond about 2500 fps (I start to lose accuracy quickly above that number). Also using alox lube seems to be the best I've used for higher velocities.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'd get something chambered in .22 Hornet if I were going to shoot lead bullets.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Never tried cast bullets, but I have a chamber adapter that allows me to shoot .22 LR in mine, so they should work.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have some load data for cast lead bullets for a .22 Hornet and have been considering looking around for one just to use for a plinker.

I personally want a .22-250 to do what it was designed to do, shoot fast and flat, but I have done my share of experimentation with off the wall concepts. Good luck and post your results when you try this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts