Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will I have any problems using Beartooth bullets in the  Ruger 99/44 auto? Ruger does not recommend using lead bullets due to gas port fouling. Has anyone had any experience or thoughts on the subject?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,426 Posts
If you are going to try them, try the gas-checked versions.  That's about all I can offer, not having tried them myself in any gas-operated autoloader.

My gut feel is that for occasional shooting (hunting), they would do no real harm.  Of course I'd make sure before I started that the operating mechanism of the gun could be cleaned easily.

Hopefully someone who's tried it can answer with more specifics.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
We've had great results with the WFN series of bullets in these Ruger 44's using the rotary magazine.  Only the shorter nose profile of the WFN's will function through the magazine, and still crimp in the crimp groove.  The 265's, 280's and 300's all in gas-checked guise of the WFN series of bullets, when sized to .432" (VERY important) shoot like gangbusters, and are world class game loads!

Haven't had any reports of problems due to lead buildup in gas ports at this time.

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 3 of 3 Posts