Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the retirement benefits report I receive annually from Social Security, I was 13 years old when I began working weekends / part time for a small private gun club here in Ohio.

I believe at that time (1975-ish), the hourly rate for 'settting trap' was about $1.25- $150.
'Pullers' received a bit more, approx $1.75- $2.25. Plus of course, pullers were in a much better position to recieve tips from successful winning marksmen, than were the setters.

I & one of my two sisters worked there pretty much continually virtually every weekend during our teen years, but at separate time periods because of our differance in age.
The last season I worked there was my 2nd season as a puller.
That was 1979.

I have no regrets whatsoever about the work experience, over all.
On the contrary, if I had my life to live over again to manage any way I wanted, I'd surely include those 4 or 5 years working at that gun club.
The friendships I made there lasted decades & I believe I began to sincerely value friendships because of the type of co-workers & employers at that club.
The men (& small numbers of women) that came to shoot? Well, I guess I learned that even though a lot of them cussed, smoked, & drank a lot of beer, many of them still could be quite likable people, particularly on the days they checked their egos at the door.

Fast forward to 2010.....
I'm 46 years old now & have been out of work for 4 years due to 2 separate psychiatrists' diagnosis of bipolar disorder I.
Last December I received a token for being 4 years sober, after having spent the previous 20 soaked to the gills in beer.
Somehow or another, my wife of now 20 years has found it within herself to hang with me through it all.

But there have been other wierd symptoms apart from what is normally associated with bipolar people that these 2 psychiatrists & various doctors haven't been able to explain, particularly:
-Infrequent but VERY potent migraine headaches
-Almost non-stop tinnitis (ringing in the ears)
-Nighttime visual & audial dillusions, which reak havok with sleeping patterns
-Terrible vertigo-like symptoms when in a car going up & down quick slopes, which is preventing me from driving any type of vehicle

The aforementioned sister who also worked there, but a bit earlier?
She has some of the same problems, too, particularly migraines & tinnitis.
Another sister, the "middle" sister in the family who never stepped foot in the place doesn't say word 1 about ear ringing, headaches, etc.

I didn't know anything about any potential danger of lead exposure on that site as a teenage employee of that gun club.
Nor did anyone, employer or client, ever post any signs or give any verbal advice or warning about washing hands before eating & drinking in the traps or up on the wooden puller's chair.
I am somewhat concerned that incremental exposure to lead at a relatively young age may have in some way contributed to the dibilitated mental condition I'm in today.

We'd like to hear from anyone out there who's had similar experiences.

The previous message was dictated by Marcos to his wife the evening of May 2nd, 2010

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,711 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. In order to check if it is indeed lead exposure or any other metal, get yourself tested. The easiest, simplest way is to get a small sample of your hair tested. No pain involved :) and there are plenty of labs that can handle it. Probably can send in at home. If your MD doesn't know how to get this done, then any naturopath (ND) should be able to handle it.

The reason for doing a hair test and not a blood test is that metals tend to leach out in your hair at a fairly constant rate.

There can be other metals at fault, so you may be surprised at the results. Had myself tested years ago and found very little lead, but arsenic and copper had built up. No idea why? Excess copper matched the symptoms I was having, except for PMS :rolleyes:

The cure for heavy metal toxicity is chelation. You can do it by IV drip, or orally. Run that through a search engine to see what it's about. Cleans out your arteries, too.

Anyway hope that helps. Good luck and I bet lots of people who post here have tinitis. Noise exposure is probably the cause for the majority.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Where did you get lead exposure at the gun club if you weren't helping clean the drop zone, reloading, or spending time in a heavily used poorly ventilated indoor range? Setting you might have gotten exposed to pitch, but not lead. Plastic shot collars came into vogue in the mid 60s, back when I was working and reloading at the gun club. I regularly snacked with my hands black from lead. I have been tested and no issues, fortunately. I do have tinnitus a bit, thanks to an artillery round by an idiot gun captain when I was checking the front of my gun and the range was supposed to be clear.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've handled a lot of lead in my lifetime, through shooting, cleaning guns, reloading, making fishing sinkers, and welding on the backstops of indoor ranges (that was always fun, climbing over the rafters, dragging welding leads through an inch of lead dust that covered everything....I don't do that type of welding anymore...it is too hazardous.)

I know that lead is supposed to lower your IQ, so, a couple of years ago, I did an IQ test online....it was about 140.

OK, no effect there.

But one thing that was mentioned in the original post was tenninitis and vertigo.

From time to time, I get "357 Magnum ear" (that's what I call it, because my ears will ring just like if I shot a 357 without earplugs)

Also, back in 2005, from about July of that year, until about February of 2006, I fought with a condition that I believed to be vertigo....on and off, for that period. I did not have nausea, but I felt dizzy, disoriented, and exhausted all the time, I would lay in the bed nearly all day for a week at a time (which is about how long it lasted) I couldn't even read without losing my concentration.

I had a vascular screening, to see if there was an issue with blood flow to my brain, everything was OK.
I went to an EENT, and they could not find anything abnormal (then why do I feel like sh!t??) My family doctor prescribed Meclizine for the "vertigo"...but it had absoloutely NO effect.

Well, it went away for a while. From February of 06 to 2009, it never happened again. Around March of 2009, it showed up again. Then, as it had done before, after about a week, it went away. I haven't had it occur again, and I hope it stays that way, because, it is a miserable thing to cope with.

I always attributed it to the fact that around 2003 or 2004, when I was jumping waves in the ocean on a jet ski, I had a wave smack me in the left ear....and it was VERY painful, I thought for sure I had busted my eardrum.

But, after reading this thread, it does make me wonder.

Of course, being a welder, having dealt with all types of welding, I'm sure lead isn;t the only toxic metal I have been exposed to. I'm sure there is some zinc, cadmium, chromium, nickel, and manganese in that list.

And manganese, while it's an important mineral in our dietary supplement, in larger doses, it is not good for you. In fact, it can cause Parkinson-like symptoms, and the effects are IRREVERSIBLE. That's another reason I am a lot more cautious about exposure to fumes when I am welding, than I used to be.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Well, I've been shooting/handloading for the last 45-50 years. I attribute my tinitus to handguns, dirtbikes, and rock concerts.

I'll confess to carrying lead split shot in my mouth for many a trout season, and handling thousands of cast bullets, and lead shot, with bare hands.

I painted several barns and chicken coops with lead based paints.

I may slip out of gear tomorrow, but I'm still doing fine at 60.

One difference may be that I've always used Vitamin C supplements, and citrate is a potent chelator. Might be the difference?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Worked at trap and skeet clubs for years.Cast bullets,reloaded,carried the pellets for my Sheridan in my mouth .Tinitus from Cutts compensators, hard rock with headphones, and the occasional field shot with a .44 mag. Alcohol and drugs,well,let's just say that inspite of my best efforts,I survived both. My brother has just been diagnosed with bi-polar,and as you know,lots of folks in AA have that affliction.Tough to get the medication right,each person requiring radically different treatment. Been sober 12 years,see a lot of folks with maladies that are out of the ordinary from hard living. My best friend has been having blackouts for the last three months--and after finally going to the Mayo Clinic in desperation (he is bi-polar) they found that it was his medication that was causing the blackouts. 3 different doctors prescribing,none talking to the other. Good luck and God bless.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,711 Posts
I don't want to lecture you guys, but if you don't get tested for metals you don't have a clue if that's the problem or not. I would not speculate on whether YOUR lead / heavy metal levels are excessive based on what SOMEONE ELSE has done or reported. There is a time and place to extrapolate from other people's experience.... THIS IS NOT. Get tested! It costs less than a cheap gun, and a LOT less than dying from heavy metal poisoning.

Don't forget that mercury fillings aren't good for you, either. If you have those, then you WILL have some mercury in your system.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Don't forget that mercury fillings aren't good for you, either. If you have those, then you WILL have some mercury in your system.
Correct. Also, if you are like me, and eat a lot of fish, shellfish, and crustaceans, you are also consuming small amounts of mercury.

All living things contain mercury. What happens is that smaller fish get eaten by larger ones, and so on, going up the food chain. Mercury acts as a cumulative poison, and therefore, it builds up each time it is eaten by a larger predator.

Larger species of fish will always have higher levels of mercury than smaller ones....and this is particularly true with species like King Mackerel and Tuna.

You're right....I probably should get tested for metal exposure.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
According to the retirement benefits report I receive annually from Social Security, I was 13 years old when I began working weekends / part time for a small private gun club here in Ohio.

I believe at that time (1975-ish), the hourly rate for 'settting trap' was about $1.25- $150.
'Pullers' received a bit more, approx $1.75- $2.25. Plus of course, pullers were in a much better position to recieve tips from successful winning marksmen, than were the setters.

I & one of my two sisters worked there pretty much continually virtually every weekend during our teen years, but at separate time periods because of our differance in age.
The last season I worked there was my 2nd season as a puller.
That was 1979.

I have no regrets whatsoever about the work experience, over all.
On the contrary, if I had my life to live over again to manage any way I wanted, I'd surely include those 4 or 5 years working at that gun club.
The friendships I made there lasted decades & I believe I began to sincerely value friendships because of the type of co-workers & employers at that club.
The men (& small numbers of women) that came to shoot? Well, I guess I learned that even though a lot of them cussed, smoked, & drank a lot of beer, many of them still could be quite likable people, particularly on the days they checked their egos at the door.

Fast forward to 2010.....
I'm 46 years old now & have been out of work for 4 years due to 2 separate psychiatrists' diagnosis of bipolar disorder I.
Last December I received a token for being 4 years sober, after having spent the previous 20 soaked to the gills in beer.
Somehow or another, my wife of now 20 years has found it within herself to hang with me through it all.

But there have been other wierd symptoms apart from what is normally associated with bipolar people that these 2 psychiatrists & various doctors haven't been able to explain, particularly:
-Infrequent but VERY potent migraine headaches
-Almost non-stop tinnitis (ringing in the ears)
-Nighttime visual & audial dillusions, which reak havok with sleeping patterns
-Terrible vertigo-like symptoms when in a car going up & down quick slopes, which is preventing me from driving any type of vehicle

The aforementioned sister who also worked there, but a bit earlier?
She has some of the same problems, too, particularly migraines & tinnitis.
Another sister, the "middle" sister in the family who never stepped foot in the place doesn't say word 1 about ear ringing, headaches, etc.

I didn't know anything about any potential danger of lead exposure on that site as a teenage employee of that gun club.
Nor did anyone, employer or client, ever post any signs or give any verbal advice or warning about washing hands before eating & drinking in the traps or up on the wooden puller's chair.
I am somewhat concerned that incremental exposure to lead at a relatively young age may have in some way contributed to the dibilitated mental condition I'm in today.

We'd like to hear from anyone out there who's had similar experiences.

The previous message was dictated by Marcos to his wife the evening of May 2nd, 2010

1 - 9 of 9 Posts