Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a discussion on another forum about the soft lead tip on jacketed bullets. One person asked about what changes in accuracy he could expect from the bullet tips on his 130 grain 270 bullets being deformed from being pushed around in the magazine. I told him that it would be neglegible as the bullet tip melts on it's down range travel. Several other people have responded back saying they have never of such a thing as the bullet tips melting in high velocity cartridges. Anyone have a website where I can get emphatical information on this info. I know I have read from some source in one of the gun magazines that this does happen. Thanks for the help.:)

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Allen:
   Ross Seyfried had an article about this in Guns&Ammo about 10 years ago. He found that bullets with the tips clipped off lost significantly more velocity at 100 yards than good bullets did.  My guess is that even if the tip does melt, it doesn't happen all at once, and the ballistic coefficient of an undamaged bullet is higher for a significant distance.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
31 Posts
Alleninalska
 The lead tip on a rifle bullet  DOES NOT melt when fired(PERIOD) This is one of those old wive's tales that get started and keep going. There are reports of someone shooting a hyper fast bullet and it disintergrating in flight ,but no one else can duplicate the phenominon.
tbc

·
Registered
123 Posts
caster,

I agree that the tip of a bullet will not melt in flight, however, I have "disintegrated" bullets in flight by shooting light jacketed Sierra Blitz 55 gr SPs faster than their permitted velocity.  You see a grey mist through the scope and either no holes in the paper, or splattering.  Have also seen it happen when a light jacketed Hornady hit a elk at 60 yds and only a hole to a rib about 1" in diameter.  No broken rib; not trace of the bullet.  Oh, yea, I can duplicate it also.

dclark

·
Registered
311 Posts
.17 cal bullets do disintergrate with some regularity when driven to max speed.
Normal soft nosed bullets fired at reasonable speed won't melt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts