Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Court rules against environmentalists seeking EPA regs for lead bullets

A federal appeals court has ruled against environmentalists who are trying to force the Environmental Protection Agency to regulate spent lead bullets and lead shot used in hunting and shooting sports.
In a decision favorable to gun enthusiasts, the U.S. District Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit said Tuesday that environmental groups have suggested no way in which EPA could regulate spent lead bullets and shot without also regulating cartridges and shells.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...mentalists-seeking-epa-regs-for-lead-bullets/

CD

·
Registered
363 Posts
Court Ruling

I am glad there is someone out there with some common sense. Thank you Combat Diver for sharing this. Merry Christmas to all. Lou

·
Registered
547 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Here in the UK I cannot even imagine how many thousands of tons of lead have been shot into the ground over the last 200yrs. Apart from wars and such the late 1800 early 1900s saw thousand on thousands of pounds of lead shot fired at game birds. One particular very large driven shoot used to have one drive in the morning and one in the afternoon and most of those taking part used three shotguns, tended by three our even four loaders and someone to cool the barrels with damp rag. The cartridges were taken out by horse and cart and stacked by each peg. The average driven shoot today will see in the region of 5 thousand pounds of lead fired in a season and I cannot see any evidence whatsoever of any influence on the health of the population. The use of non toxic over shallow feeding areas for waterfowl is a different case and also includes small lead shot used to balance floats for fishing. I believe this has had an effect on the survival rates of wildfowl and particularly swans.

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
The average driven shoot today will see in the region of 5 thousand pounds of lead fired in a season, and I cannot see any evidence whatsoever of any influence on the health of the population.
Liberals don't need evidence to outlaw or otherwise bugger-up anything they have decided you don't need or need to do. All they need is how they feel about something important to you...

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,917 Posts
Similar threads merged, FYI

·
Registered
773 Posts
Pb

Webley, the lead found in nature as galena ore is normally lead sulphide, PbS and forms into cubic crystals rather than orthorhombic or hexagonal/tetragonal. Between Butte and Helena there is a small town of Basin, Mt (just before Boulder, Mt). And leading south out of Basin is the old mine road up Galena Gulch from which came the lead ore for the Basin concentrator. The prospectors who worked up Galena Gulch always referred to the ore as "leadsilverzinc" as one word. apparently all 3 elements were found together.

The real importance however is that the absolutely biggest bull elk that I have ever seen was killed up in Galena Gulch in Berry's Meadow. The head and antlers are in the home of Maurice Sullivan in Richland, WA.
If you want to hunt up there, check first with the Bullock, Bros in Basin.

Dr. Jack Goebel, Professor Emeritus, Montana School of Mines. aka oldguide32:cool:

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
oldguide32,

You obviously know your stuff about lead. I suppose that biggest elk fell to a LEAD projectile. Do you support the Environmentalists effort to BAN Lead in ammunition?

Around here in northcentral PA, several gun clubs are doing lead remediation (removal of lead from target backstops). Is that necessary since more lead bullets will ultimately, AGAIN, be shot into the backstop berms?

Happy New Year.

Webley

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
In the long run best approach might be to excavate impact areas line them with impermeable liners like used for land fills to reduce leaching.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Environmentalists

Good Lord No, Webley. I support your position whole heartedly. I spent 17 summers driving "cat" in the woods skidding logs, and we had to waste a lot of time dealing with Earth Bunnies, Tree Huggers, et al who wanted all trees left alone for spotted owls to roost in. Now the trees are so thick that we have catastrophic million acre wildfires, thanks to the Environmentalists. The only think that I want lead out of is the first log that I saw on my sawmill(s). And I cut through most bullets except the black tips. Most loggers (and I include myself) consider themselves as the foremost environmentalists, following good stewardship practices for the wildlife and timber. On our two tree farms, we leave lots of old dead trees for "wildlife" trees when we could sell them. I will point out that an incredible number of people think nothing of tacking a target on a tree and sighting in their rifle. :eek:??? Jack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts