Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been relaoding jacketed bullets for over 15 years, however I have never loaded cast.  For practice I would like to use gas-checked bullets with the same profile as my jacketed hunting bullets.  I would like to shoot 250gr RNGC in my 358 Winchester at around 2300 fps.  Will there be a problem with leading?  Also, where can I get an expander die to flare the case mouth?  Any help from you guys is much appreciated.  Thanks.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
The answer is "probably."  There are a lot of factors, bullet fit, alloy, lube, etc.  Start with a properly sized gas-check bullet and you'll be off to a good start.  Slug your barrel and include this information when ordering!

For a neck expander that really works, get a Lyman "M" die.  Not sure if these are made specifically for the .358, BUT one for a similar .35 cal rifle cartridge should work (.35 Whelen, .350 Rem Mag, maybe even .35 Rem).

They are pretty generic.  As far as I'm aware there are only two body sizes, a "long" and a "short", with both long and short expander stems.  The long and short die bodies are actually pretty close and probably wouldn't make much difference.  So if you have to build one out of parts, then you want a long die body and a .35 cal expander.

They actually have a very broad range of adjustment and I suspect that one for a .357 mag case would work also.  If I had a .308 case laying around I'd try it.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, mbogo:
  As Mike said, M-Die parts are interchangable. If the .358 Winchester is the only cast calibre you plan on loading for, order the 35L. L as in long, long enough for a full length magnum.

If you plan on loading for a number of pistol and rifle calibres, get a pistol M-Die and a Long rifle die and any expander plugs you need. Then you have a short body with a long top screw and a long body with a short top screw. Then you can do the intermediate length cases like the .30-30 & .35 Remington by using the short body & short top screw, plus the appropriate expander plug. The long body & long top screw works on the .35 Remington too, and might on the .30-30.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks MikeG and Jack,
Your input has started my search for a M-die.  I see that Beartooth has slugging supplies.  Is this something that I can do?  If so how?  I have a digital caliper and a micrometer, what else do I need?  Can you suggest any reference material explaining this procedure?  Thanks again.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, mbogo:
You can get M-Dies from:
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/Default.htm
<a href="http://missoula.bigsky.net/western/specdies/index.htm

Best" target="_blank">http://missoula.bigsky.net/western/specdies/index.htm

Best</a> you get Marshall's book. Cast bullets at 2300 fps can be a mite ornery if everything isn't set up just right. It takes several pages to cover the details and you may as well start off on the right foot. Click on Shopping Basket at the top left corner of this screen.

If you can find some .375 balls for a .36 Cap&Ball revolver, use them for slugging. Bigger balls are harder to start. You could flatten an 00 buck pellet enough.

Consider a flatnose bullet. 250 grains at 2300 fps is more than enough slap for deer.

Bye
Jack

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
To add to Jack's post, slugging is simply driving a soft piece of lead down the barrel and measuring what you get out the other side.

Lightly (!) oil the bore, tap the aforementioned round ball into the muzzle, and then use a cleaning rod/dowel rod/whatever to drive it through.  It's not as hard as you'd think.

I'd personally run 2 or 3 slugs through, just to make sure they all come out the same.  Measure the largest part of the slug (where it fits into the rifling groove) and include this information with your order.

Let us know if you have questions....

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
Mbogo,
     I have shot 30 caliber FNGC bullets at over 2600fps (chronographed) with no leading. I think if you use a properly fitted bullet as you've been advised, and there are no anomalies in your rifle bore the velocity you desire should be obtainable. Good luck and let us know what happens!    IDShooter

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your inputs,
I plan on slugging the barrel this weekend.  I think I will slug my .30-30 Ackley Imp as well, maybe it would like some cast bullets too.  I will let you know how things turn out.  Later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts