Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Marlin 94 in 45 C, I took it out and shot 100 rounds through it and when I came back and got ready to clean it the inside of the bore was gray. I have scrubbed on it about 2 hours with brass bore brushes and solvent. I even tried a Lewis Lead remover and its not coming out. The rounds fired were Cast Performance 260gr LBTGC with 18.5 and 20.0 grains of 2400. These rounds shoot very well in my Ruger RH and there are no signs of pressure. My question is if this is lead in my barrel what do I use to get it out and could the barrel be defective or is it just rough. The bullets were sized .452 and I am checking with Marlin to see what size the bore should be. These rounds don't seem to lead in my revolvers so I am at a loss. I would appreciate any help or advice you might have concerning this problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Mr. Kramer

It sounds like a couple of things are going on with your Marlin .45LC carbine.   First perhaps a breakdown of the lube for the extra velocities generated by the longer barrel of the carbine as opposed to the revolver velocities.   Second, you will need to fire-lap that bore once you get the lead out, smooth it up, and get rid of the constrictions where the sight dovetail is located and the other one that you will find near the muzzle.    Getting rid of the machining marks will lower the friction coefficient and make that thing digest lead without near the indigestion!

Now, to get the lead out!   Go to the grocery store and buy a copper Chore Boy scouring pad, like you use for cleaning pots and pans.   Cut the aluminum hog ring that holds that pad of woven copper together, then roll out the pad into a sheet.   Once opened up, cut a strip off the sheet of woven copper that is the same with as a bore brush is long.   Then, taking an undersize bore brush, say a .30 or .35 caliber bore brush, attatched to a short cleaning rod, roll the strip of woven copper that you cut, onto the bore brush, until it is a diameter that is a snug fit into your bore of the Marlin.

Once done, simply run this lead removing wonder through the bore ten or twelve times.... the lead will be gone!   Guaranteed!  It will cut the lead out in no time!

If you are worried about hurting your bore, consider this:  Jacketed bullets are made of copper... so is the Chore Boy scouring pad.... it is much softer than your gun barrel, and positively wont scratch or harm your bore!  (DO NOT USE STAINLESS STEEL SCOURING PADS FOR THIS PURPOSE)

Next, slug that bore... I'll bet that you'll find the barrel diameter .4524"-.4526".... only slugging will tell, but in most cases .453" pills shoot best in these carbines.

I think you'll find your problems solved... let us know!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marshall
I will try the copper pad to see if it works to get the old lead out. Then I will try and slug the barrel to see what I have, will try and lay my hands on a couple pieces of brass rod to slug it with along with the egg sinker. One person had suggested that I use 0000 steel wool wrapped around a undersized bore brush but the copper might work a lot better. Do you know if anyone makes a bore guide for a lever gun? As always I appreciate your help in these things.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Mr. Kramer,

All the 0000 Steel wool will do is to effectively polish a nice finish on the lead and make it glisten just like the bore so you can't readily see it!  The copper scouring pad will positively cut the lead out... no question about it.  Lots of other folks on this forum I know have used the same technique for years... and it always gets the job done.

As for a bore guide, nothing to my knowledge that inserts from the breach end... but using a simple muzzle guard works great, working from the muzzle on this little operation won't hurt your gun a bit... you will only need a dozen or so strokes of the copper pad wrapped brush to cut the lead out entirely.

Procede with confidence!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Take a deprimed fired case for your rifle and drill out the primer hole with a drill just larger then your cleaning rod. Unscrew the tip and slide the hull on the rod. Go in from the chamber, push the hull in. woeks as a rod guide and keeps the junk out of the action. You can bet your bottom dollar on the copper pad Marshall suggests. I use any time I see any lead at all.
Best Regards, James

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
A photo of Mr. Gate's Bore guide and My lead remover!

Thought It might help!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got my Marlin back from the company and they advise that the Bore measurements on my new Marlin 1894 Cowboy rifle in 45 Colt are as follows. Bore size .443 and Groove size .451  Marlin recommends that cast bullets shot in this rifle be sized from .4505 to .451  Part of the reason my rifle was leading so bad was the .452 bullets that I was using. Just thought I would pass along the information.  

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
It's been my experience that when shooting the 45 Colt in any revolver, bullets sized .454 never lead and bullets sized .451-.452 always lead!
I will admit that my four revolvers shooting 45 Colt have had their barrels lapped and their cylinder mouths/throats uniformed. I hate cleaning lead out of barrels.
I have a Colt Anacona that has not had all this work done to it but it does not lead with my loads. So I am using the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' program.
I'll see how my new Winchester '92 does with these loads and report back.
Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been shoot these bullets sized .452 in both of my Ruger 45C and Ruger 454 and haven't had any leading problems at all. Its when I shot them in my new Marlin 1894 Lever action in 45C that I had the problem. I have ordered some 300 grainers from Marshall sized to .451 and I will let you know if there is any difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts